I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Saturday, August 16, 2014

How would I survive

On my way home from France, I thought to myself what would happen if we crashed into a unknown place. Would I be able to adjust and it would be just like home, or would it be a totally different place and everything I was thought goes against what the people believe in. That's what happened to Linda in Brave New World.  She did not know any better because in her society, things were simplistic in a sense where if your clothes ripped you would just throw them away. That hindered her in Reservation because she needed the ability to sew clothes. As well, she was thought that everyone is everyone else but in the reservation, you are looked down upon if you do that. Linda does not know any better but now she is an outcast. If that happens in real life, I wouldn't survive. Coming into a new place and then being shun because of what I have done doesn't go with the native people's beliefs. I can understand why Linda is so lost  a because how do you last when everything you know is wrong. That would just throw me off in every way

2 comments:

  1. As hard as it may be to grow accustomed to a new environment, I do believe it is possible. As much as Linda hated her life in the Savage Reservation, she found her son as a comfort that got her through life as well as the mescal. Though persecuted for her society's custom of everyone belonging to each other, she still was confused as to the reason why she was treated that way. Adjustments and knowledge gained as one assimilates into a community helps them become a part of it, despite its different views among multiple aspects. It is incorrect to say that one cannot grow accustomed to a new community in any way possible, even in Linda's case. To be fair, it is not easy to become a part of a new environment, in which I agree you have a point in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you're coming from Christopher. I know if I were the one thrown into a society of people that thought so differently than how I thought, I would hate it too. But however, Sarah is right, a person can always grow accustomed to the new environment they are in. Come to think of it, many people in history have had to deal with this situation. As time goes by, society is introduced to new inventions and adjusts to them. Sometimes, some people don't like the way society is changing, but eventually, they must get used to it. With that in mind, I still get what you're saying. It's hard to adjust to a society completely different from yours, but it's always possible.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.