I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Stop and Think

After reading Amusing Ourselves To Death, Smarter Than You Think, and Brave New World, I had a lot of opinions going on in my head about technology. Then I found this quote said by Picasso. It said, "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." I thought this would be a great quote to discuss because I know some people will agree with it and some won't.

I don't completely agree with the quote because i don't think that computers are useless. Depending on what you use technology for determines what contributions you make with it. You could either use it like most of us do, or you could make a difference in the world. Most of us use technology to get answers or to entertain ourselves, and that's why some see it as useless. We no longer use our brains to problem solve because there is always an easy way to access the Internet. Even when we access the Internet it's often hard to find what we're looking for. Instead of wasting time looking for answers online, we should just stop and think. I think if more of us encourage others to get off their cellphones once in a while, we can make a difference.

What do you think about this quote?

-Jocelyne Vasquez

2 comments:

  1. Doctors use computers to store health information and I am pretty sure that is not useless. Useless is somebodies perspective. People's perspectives of computers usefulness varies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jocelyne, you and David both bring up valid points. I also somewhat disagree with the quote. Many of us use computers mainly for entertainment as you said and that is very true. We all use computers for different purposes, but some people continue to make a statements about things that vary with different people. Someone who's job that is very dependent on a computer probably would not think that it is useless.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.