I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Dear John

When I finished Brave New World, it deeply saddened me that John decided to kill himself, but I understand why. The reports continued to harass and treat John like an animal which led him to his suicide. However, I feel that there is a deeper meaning behind his death. I believe John decided to take his own life because he was completely stuck. John never really fit in anywhere because he would not conform to the customs in the World State and the people of the Reservation never fully accepted him and his mother, Linda. John was trapped between being the base of mankind through unhappiness and concern and to become part of humanity which he cannot fulfill in both the World State, and the Reservation. Those his beliefs contradict those of the World State, I believe that the conflict became too much for him to handle. This however is only my theory. Feel free to comment what your theory is about John's death.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your theory, Marilyn. Although I am against suicide, I can totally understand why he would've done it. He pretty much had nothing to live for, really. I feel that John was "too different" and their society looks down upon even the smallest individuality to a person. Like you said, John didn't really belong anywhere and his mom didn't really accept him either, so its not like he had much of a choice. I mean, there probably was something else he could've done but I doubt he would've thought of anything else. By the way, I thought your title had to do with the Nicholas Sparks novel. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you, it is saddening that he committed suicide because he had agreed to go to the World State because he hoped to be able to fit in somewhere since in the reservation he was an outcast. I wish he would of had a different outcome, but as Mary said, he probably didn't find any other solution. He and Bernard would have been better off in our society.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.