Having to finish all of this work last minute was the worst. Come on, admit, most of us probably finished like ten minutes before the deadline.
Rereading all of The Shallows work made me really think. All the countless days I spent on the internet or on my phone. I was totally distracted by the internet, listening to music, or snap chatting on my phone. The internet is a terrible distraction, but I still believe that it is all based on self-control. I admit that I allowed myself to get distracted just because I got bored at times or was texting somebody or just wanted to listen to music. When will I learn? When will we all learn? I've asked myself this the passed few years of middle and high school. I don't think we ever will learn.
PROCRASTINATION WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME !
Destiny,
ReplyDeleteLast year in Garvin's class, I procrastinated more than I ever thought i could on her spring break project... I started then day before. It was impossible to finish the project in such a short amount of time, so I only turned in 14 out of the 20 essays in a 200 point project, already losing 60 points. The work was rushed and crappy, and I ended up with a 95/200 on the project, which brought my grade down from an A to a C+. Since then, my procrastination has "improved". I still procrastinate, and there were definitely some parts of this project I procrastinated on (you know this from my snapchats), but it's better than what I used to do. Now, I always make sure I leave a doable amount at the end if I k ow I'm gonna leave something. I really think it through. All it took was that one horrific experience (I cried), and I got better. So maybe that's what this was for you? Or maybe you haven't hit that point yet? Either way, it just takes one bad experience to knock you out of that "I can do anything super last minute if I want to" mindset because we can't. There are just some things in life that we need to do in a more timely manner than others. Maybe we should have a Procrastinators Anonymous type thing. It's pretty bad. (That joke was also pretty bad.) Anyway, good luck and hopefully you hit that experience sooner rather than later!
It is not impossible to finish the spring break project if you started the night before. I was able to pull an epic all-nighter and managed to get a C+ on it, not affecting my grade at all. However, I will never want to put myself through the week of hell that I went through. Guilt, headache, lack of appetite, and mental breakdowns.
DeleteAlthough I have said that I will never procrastinate on big projects ever again, I take that back. Will I go out of my way to procrastinate? Of course not. However, I feel like AP World History was the greatest barrier that I have ever passed, both mentally and physically. My new life motto: If you conquered AP World History, you can conquer the world.
When you said, "you know this from my snapchats", I couldn't help but smile. I feel like all the students that procrastinated on AP uploaded pictures related to it in our stories, including myself.
DeletePatty, I think you just completely missed the point of my comment.
DeleteKristine, Snapchat makes things better :)
I'm sorry to hear about your experience! It sounds mortifying! Don't worry. I would've cried as well.
ReplyDeleteI get what you mean. This experience was the worst. I had never been more stressed out and I do hope that this is the final time, but as you said, I don't think I have hit my breaking point yet (I'm waiting for the time that I actually cry from being sleepy and hungry and everything else procrastination makes you feel). Thank you Lina! I will definitely need the luck :)
Ah... procrastination.. apparently our generation shares this so-called "disease". At some point, we were all like, "I will not leave this work till the last minute!" Yet... we still happen to do it. Are we, as the youth and future of society, now accustomed to straying away from what we should focus on?
ReplyDeleteIn any case, I agree with you. The internet, as well as pretty much anything related to it, has become a terrible distraction. I was in the same situation, I procrastinated. I didn't feel good about it at all. Even when I was done, I was just like, "Well crap.." Perhaps procrastination will be the death of all our youth. It changes the way we decide to do things as well as WHEN we decide to commit to them.
Ooohh I know how it feels to procrastinate. I feel like on every project I get, I always put off and just sit there on my phone relaxing until I actually have to do it. I always say," I'll start tomorrow!" Two weeks of tomorrows past and now I'm rushing to finish a project that could've been finished in two days max. I feel like sometimes its my fault but other times I think its all the electronics around me. Even now to be honest I'm procrastinating on all the work I have for summer. Now I see the cons of procrastinating and I want to stop but its like a habit I can't break
DeleteI admit that I did procrastinate as well. All through out summer I basically told myself I would start on the assignment tomorrow. I told myself this everyday. It became worse as I obtained a summer job and literally had barely any time for work! The only time I was able to start on work was a few hours after midnight! It was painful having to go home so late at night just to have to wake up early the next morning to the same routine. Even after I left my job I still procrastinated even more. I finished my notebook in two days. Although I finished quicker than most of my friends I'm not proud of the quality and context of it. I really wish I had started sooner or at least ask my boss for less hours. I believe that this is just a phase we are growing through. I'm sure as we mature in to adults we'll transition to the next phase.
ReplyDeleteHi Destiny I totally agree with you, I've been sleep deprived for the past two days going to sleep at 4:30 in the morning to do homework is not fun. I always tell myself that this will be the last time I procrastinate, but apparently I don't listen. But I think that after this time, I have learned my lesson (hopefully). I understand exactly how you feel about distraction. I get distracted over everything and I try to do anything but what I'm supposed to do. Hopefully we learn to handle our work better throughout the year and we learn to not procrastinate anymore. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a good point Destiny. I remember constantly telling myself that I have enough time to do this, so I'll just continue to watch tv. We always tell ourselves not to procrastinate and that we will not procrastinate on our next assignment,but let's be honest, we are probably still going to procrastinate. There are so many distractions that blind us from the work we should be doing. It will be hard to try and not get distracted,but as you said, it is all based on self-control.
ReplyDeleteI hate myself for having procrastinated, AGAIN! You'd think that I'd have learned my lesson after my disastrous Spring Break project for Garvin. I don't know why but I just can't seem to be able to do work until its almost too late. It wasn't that the work was hard either, I enjoyed the books and the writing wasn't impossible, but just the thought of doing it made me not want to. As an AP kid, my summer means no homework for like a month and a half and no definitely no stress. I needed a break, we all did. I have no issue with doing homework in August, but it seems to me that somehow, even that wasn't enough.
ReplyDelete