I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Helpful Technology

Hi guys. As I was browsing through the internet, I saw an article that captured my attention.  The article was about three siblings from Georgia who created an app called “Five-O” in response to the unrest in Ferguson, Missouri. Through this app users are able to document police abuse and come together to solve these problems.  They are hoping that with this app both negative and positive interactions people have with officers will motivate them to do a better job.

By reading this article about helping others, I am reminded of the story of man who used Twitter to help those in need in Chapter 6 of Thompson’s Smarter Than You Think. The man was a twenty-three-year-old Egyptian named Ahmed Abulhassan who used video clips and Twitter to view the fighting in Egypt. When he noticed a problem with the tent hospitals, he took to Twitter and created an account called @tahrirsupplies that was devoted to reporting which tent hospitals needed supplies. It soon grew in numbers and a large amount of supplies was provided.


These people are using technology as a vehicle to help others in need.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great point that you make of the ways technology can be used. People use technology for good on many occasions, this being one of them. This shows that technology is not bad at all since it can bring good to the world and cause positive changes.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.