I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

I'm Addicted

Although I have seen others post about the I Forgot My Phone video, I continuously thought about it as I read these books as I found it interesting as well. In the video multiple situations are shown in which everyone is constantly on the phone from recording performances to paying more attention to their phone than the people around them. In all honesty none of the scenarios in the video came out as surprising to me (except for maybe the guy using the phone while in bed with his girlfriend). I find it pretty common now to see people on their phone while eating with their friends, taking selfies, and even little kids having their own phone.

In Chapter 8 of Thompson’s Smarter Than You Think what caught my attention was that he said no one is truly addicted to the Internet, and if they are it is a pretty rare case.  He then established the fact that we are in control of how much technology we use, so that we don’t become overwhelmed by it. I find that these words are very contradictive to what happens in the video and our everyday lives. Sure we turn off our electronics when we don’t want to deal with them anymore; however, once we get bored we are quick to turn them on again.


Honestly, I think I’m pretty addicted to technology. I’m almost always on my phone or computer and there are often times where I find myself doing things that they did in the video like using my phone when I’m hanging out with my friends or taking it out as I’m eating. So do you think you’re addicted to technology? Do you think Thompson was wrong about being addicted to the Internet being a rare case? Have you ever done what the people are doing in the video?

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I'm addicted to technology, but I do use it quite often. I'm not going to lie, I take selfies all the time too and always text at the worst times - especially at family gatherings - but no, I'm definitely not addicted.
    Maybe some people can control how much they use it, but unless you have great self-discipline, its pretty hard. Social media, in my opinion, is a black hole that takes you away from something else more important you should be doing at that particular moment. Anyway, I think people should learn to force themselves to take a break from any form of device because it's a great way to clear your head and get in touch with nature again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, honestly, believe I am addicted to technology. I spend a huge amount of time on my computer, playing video games and skyping with friends. Like any addiction, I know I can stop if I really really tried, but I never do. The only times I don't get on my computer are when I'm out with family or friends or when I'm rushing to finish my homework. As for using my phone, I've never been too bad with using it while talking to friends. Then again I don't have internet on my phone and you can't do much without internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Nia! Even though I do use my electronics very (very) often, I don't think what I am is addicted. I think I am just used to using it so it has become a daily routine for me. Self- control is extremely important and we must learn to control ourselves when using technology. I mostly use my phone as a way to not do my work. I don't think "addiction" is the correct word to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that addiction to technology is a very real thing that affects the majority of the population, especially the teenage demographic. I was recently cut off from the internet, and the almost harsh sadness I felt upon being unable to go online was startling. Think about it: what's the longest you've gone without using some sort of technology, whether it was the television, internet, or your smart phone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't read "Smarter Than You Think", however, I don't fully agree with Thompson's argument because I wouldn't say that I am in control of my Internet use. I am constantly using my phone, whether it be texting my friends or using social media. I don't usually go to sleep before using my phone for a little. I notice that I get extremely bored when my phone is dead or when I leave it at home. When I am doing homework and I'm not fully focused, I put it away and I'm able to be engaged while doing my work.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.