In chapter 1 of The Shallows Carr explains how he feels his mind being molded as he uses technology and becomes more and more attracted to electronics, making him feel like a human Hal. Unlike him, I can't understand how he felt when his brain began changing because I am part of a newer generation that grew up with this technology. As I read on about how he remembered being able to be focused on one thing at a time or let himself fall into a book's scenario I started to wish I had this brain. I started wondering, Was there ever a time where I could do that? As I thought hard, I realized that there really wasn't. I came to the groundbreaking conclusion that he and a few other generations were the last to remember these old brains. It simply shocked me that an entirely different way of thinking was wiped out; turned extinct like an ancient species. Will no one every think like that again? I realized that we are in the Age of Change as we can still find a few select people who have this focused way of thought process. but for the most part, EVERYONE thinks like Hal. We have all morphed into a high-speed data processing machine as we whiz by and click and every little thing popping up on a surreal screen. I felt cheated when I learned this. Cheated out of a way of thinking. I had ALWAYS known the internet and computer games and chat rooms (if anyone remembers those). My mind had barely any change because it wasn't first introduced to just paper and the screen, it was introduced to them both at the same time. Have you felt this way? Frustrated that you can't process things as slowly as you want to? Reading things over and over again until they can actually sink in instead of just tapping the surface?
I agree with you on most parts of what you wrote. It is quite disheartening to realize that we, much less our children or the generations after us, will enjoy reading a book. I personally grew up reading books and often "falling into a book's scenario" (this is where I disagree with you, kind of). I didn't really grow up with chat rooms and such, I feel like the kids who were born in 2012 and after were the ones who truly grew up with technology. But, as I've fallen into the great abyss that is technology, I've definitely found myself unable to focus. I can't focus on a single sentence in most cases, whereas I used to be able to fly through a 400 page book in a couple days. I miss my brain, as well.
ReplyDeleteI do this a lot while reading, especially while reading AOTD. Some concepts are just harder to grasp and fully understand. To fully engage myself in a book, I feel like I need to sit down and remove all nearby distractions. Technology has truly made it difficult for us to be fully attentive while reading.
ReplyDelete