We're finally done! These last couple of days have been very stressful and tiring. I really shouldnt have procrastinated. I have to say that I enjoyed these three books more than I thought I would. The authors were all very intriguing and made really good points about technology's effects on todays society. When we were assigned these books, I honestly thought Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman would be my least favorite. I'm not saying it was my favorite because Brave New World was by far my favorite. However, I think Postman's beliefs and arguments struck me the most. Don't get me wrong Carr's argument on the internet was also very convincing, and I completely agree with all that he had to say. I guess Postman had a bigger impact on me because I watch television a lot more than I use the internet.
I was shocked when I read how television changed religion from a holy practice to another form of entertainment; that children wanted to be entertained when taught, and that the news paid little attention to what was important. I can't watch television the same anymore. And when I do, I keep in mind what Postman said about accepting that television is a media-metaphor and that it can influence us if we allow it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.