I'll admit, I wasn't really upset that iTunes raised its prices. I pirate music anyway (#sorrynotsorry) and that means I download music off of the internet for free for all you goody two-shoes out there who are pretending not to know what piracy is. Albums don't sell nearly as much as they used to because so many people have become pirates. For example, in 2002, when the World Wide Web was still a tween, Avril Lavigne was able to sell 17,000,000 copies with her debut album Let Go. (Hello nostalgia) Flash forward to today and we see that Katy Perry, who is supposedly one of the biggest stars on the planet, could not manage to sell 3,000,000 copies of her latest album Prism. Album sales have steadily decreased over the past decade and not by a small amount either. They decrease by around 15% each year. Wow. That's a lot.
But before someone says that this is because music is getting worse, it's actually because of pirates like me. Artists don't get the money that they deserve for their work. I'm sure by now you've heard of the saying "There's no such thing as a free lunch." The same applies here. When you take music for free, it's always going to come out of someone's paycheck. No wonder iTunes has to raise its prices. Apple is just trying to accommodate for all of the pirates out there. This creates a downward spiral effect. The higher prices become, the more people result to pirating. The more people resort to pirating, the higher prices become. Who cares, though? A lot of singers can still manage to make hundreds of millions of dollars on tours, so I'm sure a measly $12.99 won't hurt now will it? ;-)
Have a great rest of summer.
Have a great rest of summer.
Grant you're a horrible person! Just kidding. :D You're still my friend!
ReplyDeleteIt is true tho that nothing is for free. Someone is always paying the price.
Haha. What for?
DeleteI admit, I pirate music as well considering you're the one who taught me how too. I for one don't really care as cold as it sounds. Artists make a lot of money as it is already. I agree that $12.99 won't even make a dent to their wallet because they will still be racking in all the money on the tours. It does make me feel guilty a bit at the fact that I'm allowed their entertainment for free while others choose to pay for it.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post Grant Williams. I used to pirate movies and music too but eventually I couldn't stand the guilty feeling of stealing. Although $12.99 isn't a lot, especially for such popular people like Katy Perry, the numbers still add up and can really effect not only the artist, but the economy too.
ReplyDeleteWhy pirate? Do you not know about the Spoofy?
ReplyDeletewww.spotify.com
Or search in App/Play Store
Basically, every single song in exsistence is availible for you to stream at anytime. There are radio functions, but Spotify's biggest feature is its playlist ability. Purchasing music is now a thing in the past, as you can now have a playlist of your favorite songs from any album/artist for free.
Well I use iTunes and I hook it up to last.fm. Also, you have to wait for certain releases. So it's not the best option for me.
DeleteBut Spoofy is for free and doesn't use data to store songs, which frees up space on your phone for cooler apps
DeleteAre you sure a measly $12.99 won't hurt? You're saying that the music industry prices are spiraling upwards because thousands of people think the same way as you.This creates a butterfly effect that spirals out of control. You complain about the prices of music, but in reality, you should really be complaining about yourself and the others that think like you.
ReplyDeletePirating is something that people justify with thoughts like,"If I like it, I'll buy it!" or "This won't put a dent in an artist's bill." However, most people don't ever purchase back the music they pirated because why should they? It won't put a dent in an artist's bills BUT like what Trevin said; it all adds up.
Actually, it won't matter if I pirate or not. I'm so insignificant out of everyone who pirates music. It doesn't matter to me at all. Music is beautiful and I am simply taking advantage of my opportunities. I have the option to get something for free or pay for it. I still buy music from all my favorite artists. So I don't feel bad.
DeleteThe artist worked hard to create the beautiful music that we all can enjoy. When we pirate, we are taking away the money that is rightfully theirs that they worked hard to earn.
ReplyDeleteYes it sounds mean but I'm not sorry! Lol.
DeleteSPOTIFY BASICALLY LETS YOU ACCESS ALL THE MUSIC THAT YOU ONCE HAD TO PIRATE FOR FREE
ReplyDeleteIT'S BETTER THAN PIRATING BECAUSE IT'S STILL FREE AND LEGAL AND THE MUSICIANS STILL EARN MONEY NSTUFF