I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

"Hey! Listen!"

Just the other day, my friend and I were hanging out in the front of the school after practice and I began to tell her about how my previous day went. I was well into the story when I turn and saw her on her phone. She was so mesmerized. She just kept staring and swiping and tapping. I then grabbed her phone and said, "HEELLOOOOOO????"
This continued as we were walking home, I would turn and see her staring at her phone and she would say, "Mhmm. Yea," here and there. She then looked up at me and started laughing and told me she was listening. I told her to repeat what I had said and she couldn't. She was too busy texting and snap chatting our other friend. I was astonished. Being on the other side of the situation really opened my eyes. I've been caught not paying attention to somebody because I was on my phone and now that I see how they felt, it really kinda sucks. Knowing that somebody doesn't really care to listen is terrible.
We have lost our ability to hold a normal conversation with somebody in person because, for whatever reason, we find our cellphones and the media more important. I might as well had just texted her my story. Maybe then she'd know what I was talking about.

2 comments:

  1. I got excited because I thought this was a Zelda reference =(
    Anyways yeah people are too focused on their devices. People nowadays are too easily distra I want tacos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been guilty on several occasions for paying attention to my phone rather than someone who is speaking to me. I had a similar "eye-opening" experience as you when I was in line for food one day with my mom and I was telling her some story, but she was far too busy checking her Facebook feed to pay attention to what I was saying. It was weird because normally, it should've been me who was on the phone while her talking. Anyway, I got slightly annoyed because it was like Facebook was more important than me so just huffed and not bothered to continue. After we got our food, she told me, "Now you know how I feel when you have your phone out when were together." Ever since, I've limited my cellphone use when she and I are together, or when I'm with anyone else in general because I now know how stupid someone feels when they talk but no one is paying attention.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.