I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Perfect or Imperfect?

I've been reading Brave New World, and I now see why we were supposed to read it last. The book is very strange indeed and many times I found myself asking: Is this what I think it is? When the book started off it took me a second to kind of figure things out yet when I did well I was kind of grossed out and surprised. It just wasn't really what I expected. This society that is meant to be perfect is perfect for people who live in it. For someone who doesn't it just seems inappropriate and weird, just weird. No pain, great. No poverty, great. Then there is the fact that there is no family and "everyone belongs to everyone," not so great. These people are blinded by what they were taught into thinking that they are happy and that this world is perfect and for them it seems so because that's all they know. I also don't really agree with all the castes and all because some people are basically made less than others, and they don't care because they've been told not to. It's good that everyone is happy being themselves, but it's only because they've been told to like whether they are a Beta, Gamma, or whatever. They aren't trying to advance themselves in any way they're just accepting that they must stay the way they are always. My point is even when things appear perfect people can always find imperfections.

1 comment:

  1. Think about it this way: what if the citizens of the World State decided to pop out of the book and judge our society? You said it yourself; their society is all they know. By the same principle, Our society is all we know. Everyone and everything is different and judgements are futile.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.