I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, August 22, 2014

National Scale Beauty Pagent



In Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman, on more than one occasion (chapters 2 and 9) he discusses how television has reformed what we define news and politics by.  He has a problem with how news has become little more than a source of entertainment and even our presidential elections are conforming to fit the standard of television.  If one wishes to be a news anchor or politician they have to fit the image set by popular culture meaning it would be impossible for an unattractive person to obtain one of these positions.  Though how I understand how one cannot be unattractive if they wish to become a news reporter or anchor, but should not a prospective head of this nation be elected from a higher set of standards other than appearances?  I personally feel that a potential leader of the free world should not be ruled out so quickly merely because he is considered an eyesore that does not appeal to many of the younger voters.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I guess if a time zone wasn't specified in the instructions, you can use the loophole

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.