Hi everyone! I am reading The Shallows and I am really enjoying the book so far! In chapter
five Nicholas Carr says something that caught my attention.
“As the uses of the internet have proliferated, the time we
devote to the medium has grown apace, even as speedier connections have allowed
us to do more every minute we’re logged on.”
I agree with this because we devote so many hours to the
internet, our phone, and television that we spend countless hours on these
devices a day. My brother and sister wake up every morning and go to the living
room and play on their iPads. For most of the day they are playing games
because they are very addicting. I used my siblings as an example because if
this is affecting the younger generations, can you imagine the impact on the
rest of society? I am very grateful for technology because it makes things
easier and we are able to do so many things. What I don’t agree with is that we
become wrapped up in it. I know I am guilty of being on my phone a lot but I
get really disappointed in myself if I see that I waste too much time on it.
My point is, I think there should be a balance of how much
technology we should be using a day. We miss out on the important things in
life if we are constantly wrapped up in social media. I want to know what you
guys think. Do you agree or disagree? Do you spend a lot of time using
technology?
To be honest before reading The Shallows I never really though about all the ways technology might affect us. Lately I have been noticing points form his book everywhere. I notice mg family always spending time on the computer or watching TV. My mom gets home from work and after cooking or whatever goes on the computer and she's on the computer all day at work. My brother is always on his phone an my dad also after work straight to the computer. Yet another person is my sister who after school goes straight for her tablet to play new games she gets, daily. The only reason I'm probably not on any device all the time I because I'm busy reading
ReplyDeleteI didn't finish writing, oops!
DeleteAs I was saying technology is becoming more an more addicting, and I agree that we should find a balance with how much time we spendn on it. I say many people spend too much time on their devices, and it should change.
I agree with all your points, and I also believe you're truly right. In the current generation people tend to want to live in the moment so they procrastinate and put off work and use technology as entertainment instead. I would find myself delaying my homework because I believe I have time to spare but then find myself addicted to a TV show or video games. Technology is slowly corrupting our minds to use it for a different purpose than what we need to use it for. I also agree with the comment on future generations. People in future generations will be raised by technology and would be clueless without it. I'm also guilty for spending an extensive time on the computer or my phone. I also expect for technology to continue in the entertainment industry, so the future might be grim and filled with technology being a necessity in daily life.
ReplyDeleteI don't think that the rest of society is as easily wrapped up as the children. Children do not really know of a previous lifestyle, the newer technology were brought to them as kids so they never really experience the independent use of text. Think about how older people are always asking for your help, or instead of watching television, you might find an older person reading a book. Those who have experienced the age without electronic media are less likely to be wrapped up, since they know more about other things. However, I do agree that the current generation is submerged with technology. Our lifestyles and routines are dependent on it. At times I realize that technology is slowly consuming me, but I tend to thank technology A LOT.
ReplyDeleteI find it funny how over the years, the internet has become faster and people still spend more time on it. One might think that people would spend less time on the internet because faster connection would enable them to get what they needed to do done more quickly, but the opposite has happened. Even though webpages now load much faster, people still view them for much longer. I think that our society has definitely become more dependent on technology and that is not always a bad thing. As Clive Thompson mentioned, technology can be beneficial to our lives in ways our brains can't.
ReplyDelete