I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Wall-E ®

     "What does the future hold for us?" many may ask. I'm sure many of you have seen the movie "Wall-E" by Disney Pixar; for those who haven't, the movie shows us a grim future for the Earth and humanity alike. Humanity has left Earth to fester in its own filth, while the entire population moved into a spaceship far into space. On this mother ship, humans are entirely dependent on the machines and robots. They spend their whole day sitting on a mobile chair with a screen that hangs in front of their faces. Everyone socializes on the computers, not with the people around them. I'm not going to explain the whole movie, just the part that is relevant to my argument.
   
     Anyways, I'm seeing a scary trend with our technological inventions. Almost all the innovations we create make our lives easier in some way; they make us do less work. Is Wall-E far from being fiction?

     Haven't I seen this somewhere else besides in the movie? Oh yeah, many of US right now are sitting in a chair with a screen in front of our faces. With the invention of Google Glass, these large screens depicted in the photo seem closer to reality than fiction.

4 comments:

  1. Its is really scary how realistic this is becoming. Technology is advancing so quickly people don't even realize what its doing to them until its to late. I can't imagine how people are going to react to the next major technological advancement. Also you said "Almost all the innovations we create make our lives easier in some way; they make us do less work." Although this is true, what do you expect? Who would want to invent something that makes life harder, especially during this time, when speed is everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah in Wall-E, it predicts a possible future that could happen. Like yeah it is highly probable that it will happen but I think we could change. We are able to change if we want. We see the examples that could happen both good and bad yet its the people's choice. They're some people who don't want the the Wall-E outcome. Truly its a problem and people are willing to change if something drastic happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot that in Wall-E the people became fat and relied so much on technology. Even though technology is very helpful, it's scary to think if we keep it up we might end like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the field of exercise, technology has been a major benefit. From a simple stopwatch to a treadmill, even non electrical tools like an elevation mask or bench press, technology can be a constant aid in ones physical health. Despite this, many people are still out of shape. If you look at people who own a treadmill, a large portion of them remain unhealthy as the treadmill becomes little more than a glorified coat rack. Technology can greatly benefit one's physical health, but only when they put in the effort. Like in Wall-E, many people today do not wish to use technology to improve their health, but merely use it as a tool to worsen it. One of the things I have learned is that it is very difficult to force someone to change, they have to want it; however, this is becoming increasingly difficult with the ever growing distractions produced by technology.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.