I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Clever Bots

In The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains, there is mention of ELIZA, a computer program developed in the 1960s that responded to your text-inputted commands and questions. This reminded me of a very similar program that's online today known as Cleverbot, found here. These "chat bots" are designed to simulate intelligent conversation, usually small talk, between a computer interface and a human being. As an artificial intelligence, Cleverbot learns from the input of those it shares conversations with online every second of the day, and it continues to learn and improve its small talk. I really suggest that you try talking to Cleverbot, the small talk that's shared can be very interesting, if not comical.

The implications of self-learning artificial intelligence mean a lot. What else will artificial intelligence be able to teach itself in the near future?

5 comments:

  1. I literally, spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and metaphorically wrote about that in my summer homework for this.
    Also, we don't need to worry about CleverBot evolving into Skynet too soon. In an interview, the creator of CleverBot said that he "cheated" in making the conversation processes in the Bot. He had millions of responses pre-downloaded into the Bot's memory, and when someone interacted with it, it would search through the memory to find the closest thing to what was said, then give an adequate response. The idea was as the Bot was used more and more, the Bot would store all of the conversations it's had with other people to have a near-flawless communication system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I haven't heard of this yet. It sounds like Skynet. Seriously, this is amazing. This could basically be the beginning of a robot. Not only would it respond back, but I believe it's possible that they can take commands. However, the idea of having a computer outsmart you seems pretty creepy. I don't think our society is ready for that technology yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Computers are already smarter than us.

      Delete
    2. But Isreal I already stated that CleverBot is not true AI
      And also CleverBot is only an entertainment tool it doesn't have any links to government nstuff

      Delete
  3. I'd never hear of Cleverbot before. I tried it out and Cleverbot gave me attitude. The thing actually started arguing with me and I was so surprised. I was arguing with a machine the same way I'd argue with an actual person. Yes, it was amusing, but it was still scary how life-like it's responses were.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.