I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Visual Thinking

     After reading these books for summer homework, I started to notice things I haven't before about technology.  One of the main things I saw was the human mind is extremely attracted to visuals.  This reminds me of a commercial I saw on T.V. a while ago.  The commercial was for the search engine, Bing.   Bing would have everyday people choose which search engine they like based on appearances.  It was a surprise to me that the famous search engine, Google was out beat by Bing.  The reason people chose Bing was because the search engine displayed more pictures then Google did.  This shows that the human mind much rather see images then just plain text.
     I think that the reason the human mind is attracted to images because of our technology.  For example, television.  Television is all about images and visuals with displaying as little written word as possible.  I've even noticed that when I read I constantly find myself trying to imagine a scene in my head.  I think this is why I found it so herd  to read Neil Postman's book Amusing Ourselves to Death.  The content in this book doesn't require an image, it requires deep mental thought.
     In conclusion, humans have became accustom to visuals and images.  The human was mind has been altered by television and other technologies to love visuals.

-Keone Nakakura

PS  You have time you should check out the commercial. It's called "Bing It On"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Keone, I agree that technology causes the mind to be attracted to images. There are so many apps today that revolve around taking pictures like Instagram and Snapchat. The main point of these apps is to show pictures with very few words.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.