I didn't get to read the The Shallows but I wish I had because it brought up many good points. We depend on the internet always being there but what will our brains be like once we unplug from our smartphones and laptops. I do have to admit I am constantly distracted with technology, because of this I find myself forgetting passages I have just read so I often have to reread them. I don't want to depend on technology all the time and I certainly don't want to destroy humanity.
I love the part were everything just keeps popping up on the computer screen. That's exactly how I feel when I go on the internet. I go on the internet to look up one thing and one link leads to another, and before I know it I've been on the computer for a couple of hours!
The internet and its versatility is nearly endless and this video certainly displays that, allowing it to penetrate our minds and further stimulate us to multiple thinking modes. I believe, it not only practically "shouts" at us, like in the video, it inspires us to be complete scatterbrains, since we are influenced and inspired over so many topics. The way I shut off the internet and calm down is by usually drawing or writing, and even then I am reminded of what I have been shown on the internet. So yes. Yes to this whole video.
I watched this video with my sister (she's nine) and we both liked it, she thought it was very interesting especially how they show how humans were becoming like computers. It is crazy to think that our usage of technology can destroy humanity. We are becoming so dependent on technology even to remember the smallest things, now we have to talk to "siri" so she can remind us to go to an appointment or even tell us when our mom's birthday is. I would have never thought of this if it weren't for this video or reading the books.
I found that video very interesting and I've been wondering lately why I don't remember much of the things I've learned. Now I know that it's because I have spent way too much time on the internet and less time just calmly thinking. I really hope to be able to spend less time on a gadget so that I will obtain and retain the knowledge that I receive.
I really enjoyed the style of this video, and I don't think I would have been able to pay attention as much as I did if it wasn't as amusing or entertaining as its animation made it. The points that Carr makes are important, yes, but I also felt Postman's argument of how entertainment is becoming (or has become) a factor in our attention from the entertaining style of the video.
The video was very interesting and many of my peers and I can relate to what the video was saying. When I'm on the computer I usually space out and search random thing online and forget about why I was on the computer in the first place. Same goes for my phone. I constantly check my phone for messages or look at social media even when I am busy. I never thought that being on the Internet so much affected our memories as well.
This video was great in gathering all arguments and research found in The Shallows. Before reading this book, I thought that I was smart because I could multitask and read a forty page textbook chapter the night before a test. However, I wasn't being smart at all because once I took the test all the information had left my brain. Fortunately, I now know to constantly study the content with all my attention directed at it in order to truly understand and retain it.
When Carr was talking about the great monuments of culture coming from people who could control their minds, it made me question the world a bit. I am sure their are many people who have amazing mind control, such as monks for example. Why dont they produce great monuments? I mean, having a good mindset is probably part of it, but I doubt being able to do great things is completely reliant on you mind.
Why would a monk make a monument? If doing great things does not rely on the mind, what does it rely on? And please don't use the pronoun "their" for "there" ever, ever again. Please. I beg you.
I am really glad that my last name starts with an A because I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Going on the Internet has always been such a natural thing and to see what's actually doing to our brains, especially those who have lived without it, is quite interesting. Sadly, I probably would have never read this book if it wasn't required, but I'm glad I did.
I relate to this video because I know that I struggle with focusing. Even when I separate myself from technology, I find it hard to concentrate with the ideas of technology pounding in my brain.
I didn't get to read the The Shallows but I wish I had because it brought up many good points. We depend on the internet always being there but what will our brains be like once we unplug from our smartphones and laptops. I do have to admit I am constantly distracted with technology, because of this I find myself forgetting passages I have just read so I often have to reread them. I don't want to depend on technology all the time and I certainly don't want to destroy humanity.
ReplyDeleteI love the part were everything just keeps popping up on the computer screen. That's exactly how I feel when I go on the internet. I go on the internet to look up one thing and one link leads to another, and before I know it I've been on the computer for a couple of hours!
ReplyDeleteThe internet and its versatility is nearly endless and this video certainly displays that, allowing it to penetrate our minds and further stimulate us to multiple thinking modes. I believe, it not only practically "shouts" at us, like in the video, it inspires us to be complete scatterbrains, since we are influenced and inspired over so many topics. The way I shut off the internet and calm down is by usually drawing or writing, and even then I am reminded of what I have been shown on the internet. So yes. Yes to this whole video.
ReplyDeleteI watched this video with my sister (she's nine) and we both liked it, she thought it was very interesting especially how they show how humans were becoming like computers. It is crazy to think that our usage of technology can destroy humanity. We are becoming so dependent on technology even to remember the smallest things, now we have to talk to "siri" so she can remind us to go to an appointment or even tell us when our mom's birthday is. I would have never thought of this if it weren't for this video or reading the books.
ReplyDeleteI found that video very interesting and I've been wondering lately why I don't remember much of the things I've learned. Now I know that it's because I have spent way too much time on the internet and less time just calmly thinking. I really hope to be able to spend less time on a gadget so that I will obtain and retain the knowledge that I receive.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the style of this video, and I don't think I would have been able to pay attention as much as I did if it wasn't as amusing or entertaining as its animation made it. The points that Carr makes are important, yes, but I also felt Postman's argument of how entertainment is becoming (or has become) a factor in our attention from the entertaining style of the video.
ReplyDeleteGood point.
DeleteThe video was very interesting and many of my peers and I can relate to what the video was saying. When I'm on the computer I usually space out and search random thing online and forget about why I was on the computer in the first place. Same goes for my phone. I constantly check my phone for messages or look at social media even when I am busy. I never thought that being on the Internet so much affected our memories as well.
ReplyDeleteThis video was great in gathering all arguments and research found in The Shallows. Before reading this book, I thought that I was smart because I could multitask and read a forty page textbook chapter the night before a test. However, I wasn't being smart at all because once I took the test all the information had left my brain. Fortunately, I now know to constantly study the content with all my attention directed at it in order to truly understand and retain it.
ReplyDeleteWhen Carr was talking about the great monuments of culture coming from people who could control their minds, it made me question the world a bit. I am sure their are many people who have amazing mind control, such as monks for example. Why dont they produce great monuments? I mean, having a good mindset is probably part of it, but I doubt being able to do great things is completely reliant on you mind.
ReplyDeleteWhy would a monk make a monument? If doing great things does not rely on the mind, what does it rely on? And please don't use the pronoun "their" for "there" ever, ever again. Please. I beg you.
DeleteI am really glad that my last name starts with an A because I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Going on the Internet has always been such a natural thing and to see what's actually doing to our brains, especially those who have lived without it, is quite interesting. Sadly, I probably would have never read this book if it wasn't required, but I'm glad I did.
ReplyDeleteI relate to this video because I know that I struggle with focusing. Even when I separate myself from technology, I find it hard to concentrate with the ideas of technology pounding in my brain.
ReplyDelete