I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Would you rather?

Would you rather read an e-book or a printed book?  When I was reading chapter six of The Shallows, Carr talked about how e-books might eventually take over printed books.  I always thought e-books were cool and all, but for some reason it never occurred to me that printed books may someday become obsolete.  Although Carr makes a very good point, I really hope printed books are here to stay.  Personally, I would prefer a printed copy over an e-book anytime.  There is a feeling so great after finishing a long printed book, and that just doesn't seem to occur after finishing an electronic book.  I also find it easier to concentrate on the book when I read a printed book.  There is so much history in printed books, and I hope our society thinks twice before leaving the printed book behind.  What do think will happen to the printed book?

3 comments:

  1. When I read that chapter, I also became concerned about the future of printed books because I will chose it over an e-book any day. Anyway, I'm think that it will survive because many actually value them as well. It's possible that someday people might stop printing books altogether, but the ones that have already been printed will always be here. Unless of course our government goes all Fahrenheit 451 on us, then yeah, that'll be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that an actually printed book is so much better than an e-book. I feel as though I'm able to understand the book more if I have a physical copy of it in my hands. Hopefully, printed books are here to stay and even if printing stops people will continue to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the printed book will stay with us for a long time. Many people enjoy holding a hard covered book in their hands and feeling the pages, including me.. I still get excited going into Barnes & Nobles to buy books and so do many others.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.