I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Humans Need Not Apply

Hello, everyone! While checking up on my YouTube subscriptions, I came across this very compelling video, "Humans Need Not Apply." It's fifteen minutes long, and from the points Postman makes in Amusing Ourselves to Death, I'd understand if you wouldn't be interested enough to watch the entire video through, but you should watch the video.

The video concerns itself with how technology, specifically computer software or programs, are beginning to obsolete "human mental labor" in various jobs and careers (i.e. coffee baristas, doctors, and even composers of music). I was reminded of how in Brave New World, society had become so dependent on their technology, such as soma, that technology was practically in control of them. This video made me feel as though we're entering a brave new world of our own.


How do you feel about the advancement of technology slowly making some human tasks unnecessary as a computer program already knows how to perform it? Is there any action that we can take against this march of progress?

3 comments:

  1. First of all, I really enjoyed the video. I was hesitant to watch the video because of how long it was, but I'm glad I did. There were so many inventions shown in that video that I didn't know existed. It's scary to think that human labor, whether it be mental or physical, can be so easily replaced. Computers now have the ability to replicate the creativity of a human being. They can compose music and draw their own pictures, and they can think (in a sense). To answer your last question, I think I have to agree with the video's conclusion in that the advancement of technology is inevitable. We just have to think about what we're going to do when technology does take over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video was great, yes long, but great. This kind of stuff is what really interests me. In the video the guy said something like some jobs are becoming automated so that humans can move on from that and do something of higher intelligence. I think that should be true. Roblots can only take what is possible for them and for the most part that consists of basic labor. Yes, advancements are being made but I think those are still limited as of now. No I don't think there is any action that can stop it. Also I highly doubt technology will get so far as to take over many jobs in our lifetime. So we don't have that much to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeremy that was a great post! Sad to say but it is true, we are being replaced by robots. After watching this video it made me realize how unimportant we are to businesses because they will replace us with robots just because they are cheaper. My family is all about going to college and getting a career because it gives you better job opportunities, but if doctors and other professionals can be replaced by robots what will happen to all these people who lose their jobs?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.