I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Old Folks with IPhones

So I've completed Amusing Ourselves to Death and I know this is a stretch but I've been wondering, why (and this is a huge generalization) do old people oppose technology so much? I mean, you hardly ever come across a "tech-savvy" who's over the age of 65. Why is that? Well maybe it's not that they're against technology but just change, in general. It happens in history over and over again. There will be some huge change in politics or ethics and it takes a few generations for all the old people to die out before it becomes acceptable to the public. An example would be the emancipation of black slaves in America. At first all the old people who had lived their entire lives believing that blacks were slaves and all that other racist stuff, were against this movement. But younger citizens were open to change and as time went on, and all the older generations died, African Americans became more accepted into society and are now viewed as equal citizens (yes, I know this is debatable but I'm just trying to make a point really fast). But technology is ever-changing. So will old people really ever be able to catch up to the younger, more technology surrounded, generations? I think so. But only because that's what humans do. All humans. We evolve and adapt into greater and better things. Its just in our nature.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharissa, I very much agree with your statement that older people struggle with change. They are often nostalgic for the old times and despise the change that is occurring everyday. I don't doubt that older people can't change, I just think it is a lot harder for them to accept change than it is for the younger generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, change goes against their "conditioning". Older people grew up with different ideas. It's not easy for them to change their lifestyle after so many years of living in a certain way. They're used to living in a different way. Also, they may have read more of these books that warn people of technology throughout their lifetime.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.