I heart xkcd
Art Project
Thursday, August 21, 2014
The Irony
As I was reading the novel The Shallows by Nicolas Carr, I noticed something ironic, but also hilarious. His first chapter describes how the internet has changed our brains and attention spans, and how most of us can't even get through a paragraph without getting fidgety, much less an entire book. Yet, Carr writes a book. He writes a book, about not being able to read books. How does he, who also confesses that his mind is hungry for the internet, expect us to enjoyably and attentively read his book if we, as teenagers, are worse than him?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't really think the internet has changed our brains. Maybe we just like to think it does to blame our laziness.
ReplyDeleteI somewhat agree. We aren't forced to go on the internet, we choose to. I do believe we like to blame the internet for our laziness. However, this doesn't mean the internet doesn't change our minds. What Carr is stating is that the internet affects our attention spans and ability for contemplation. Things like that. Carr also uses the internet, he just wants to point out how it's affecting us. Like Tatum said, he ironically confesses that it is hard for him to focus on a book but he writes one anyways. He basically wants us to be aware of what is happening to our brains.
Delete