I heart xkcd
Art Project
Thursday, August 21, 2014
Digital Detox
Since I was feeling a little inspired by all of this summer homework, I decided to try a digital detox. To be honest, I thought it was going to be easy as pie, I could not have been more wrong.. First I had to have my sister wake me up since I could not use my phone as an alarm. Then it all went down hill from there. After practice I decided to spend the rest of the day reading. As I could not do my normal routine of watching netflix on my xbox. Then I had to refrain from checking my text messages or checking the time on my phone. Once it hit about two in the afternoon I got bored of reading so I went for a walk. Well this turned out to be bad because I could not use my phone to call my family to let them know I had left the house. So once they got home they were freaking out wondering where I was. If I could go back I would have left a note but it just didnt click in my head at the moment. Once I got back home it did not get any better. The only thing I could do was talk to my family and play with my cat. Everything else I have for entertainment purposes is electronic. So then I just layed in my bed for about three hours until I fell asleep. I woke up the next day and immediately grabbed my phone. Since I was trying to do a 24 hour digital detox I guess you could say I failed. However, in my eyes I was successful as I spent about 15 hours without any electronics. That is the longest I have ever gone without them. I know that sounds a bit sad but I am sure most teenagers nowadays use electronics frequently. Doing this digital detox made me realize just how dependent I am on my electronics & I am ashamed of it but there Is nothing I can really do. I mean, most Americans nowadays are reliant on electronics. Whether it is something as simple as an alarm to something as elaborate as an electric car. All I have to say in the end is that I am very grateful for what I have & I do not know how I would live without it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Honestly, I think everyone should do a little digital detox once in awhile. It may be challenging, but its like, people (teens) can get reacquainted with their families again because we all know that no one pays attention to what goes on in their houses when they have their phone in their hands. Anyway, I recently went on a family trip, as I've mentioned in the post before yours, and we all tried to get through the day without it. It was great, we all seemed to live in the moment with no distractions (for the most part). After reading the Shallows, I decided that there are better things in my life that need my attention which does not involve social media.
ReplyDelete