I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Downfall of Fame

          After finishing Brave New World, I found myself extremely saddened by Bernard's downfall. In the beginning, he was such a likeable character for his rebellious attitude towards this society. This is a society that shoves their ideas at people and expects total acceptance in return. He was a symbol of an individual in our society that we live in today. As the story continues, we see a sudden change in his attitude, especially after meeting John and Linda, using them in his favor. After he finds an increase in his popularity and the fame goes to his head, it changes him for the worst. He stops caring about his individuality and conforms to the mindset of his society. The worst part is that he becomes highly arrogant.
          So now that you guys know my opinion on Bernard, what is your opinion on his change from the beginning of the story towards the end?

5 comments:

  1. When I was reading Brave New World, I also noticed this change in Bernard. In the beginning, I felt as if I would really enjoy this character, but his growing arrogant attitude after meeting Linda and John, like you said, made me gradually dislike him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even while I was reading Brave New World, I got a feeling that Bernard was changing for the worse. For me, he was the only likable character in the beginning but his success and his arrogance got the best of him when he shouldn't even have been concerned in flaunting off his "achievement". It is obvious, as you have pointed out Jenny, that he loses his uniqueness and conforms to the World State.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true about you've said about Bernard. He was such an individual and he had an open mind. Bernard didn't really believe in the society's ideal. Yet l, after going to the reservation everything changed. Now he's doing thing that he used to criticize. He became what disliked the most

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you, in that Bernard was such a likeable character at the start, but quickly began his decline in favoritism. I also felt like Bernard was focused upon less and less towards the end of the book, as his popularity changed him, and the "Savage" took his place as a more main character. As for "flaunting off his achievement," Jesus Chavez, I didn't understand why bringing back the "savage" was an achievement. Just wondering if you could clarify why he was praised for such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Bernard was a interesting character from beginning to end. At first, he was very unique and special but however in that society being unique was bad. You could tell he was constantly unhappy with himself. As the story went on and he took John back home, he became very arrogant and confident. It was sad to see such a change in him and see him conform to what society wanted him to be.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.