I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Procrastination, Technology, and Choice

These past couple of days I had to suffer the consequences of my procrastination.  When i was working until late I felt it was easy to blame my phone for being such a distraction.  But, we all know it isn't  the phone's fault. It's mine because, who picks up the phone to check the social media? Me.  I simply don't want to do any work so i find any distraction possible to not do it.  Even when I didn't have a phone, i found anything to keep me away from my homework. Such as, staring at a fly that is buzzing around me. But now, my phone has given me a much easier and entertaining escape. This is an example of how we are using technology incorrectly. We should be using it to gain knowledge and be entertained. In my case i wasn't really being entertained i was just staring blankly at my screen to avoid my work and obviously not gaining any relevant knowledge.  This has become an absurd routine for me.

To conclude this post, i believe technology isn't here to take us away from our work, (however, sometimes that's the purpose of software developers in order to take our money) we simply allow it to.  It's all about choice at the end.  We chose how we use the technology handed to us.

I encourage you to turn off your phones at a point during the day and practice doing this daily. So you won't have the false idea that you are completely dependent on it.

3 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean Maria! I constantly blame my phone and laptop for keeping me from my work when in reality that's just absurd. As crazy as it sounds though, even if I'm not using my phone, I still need it near me. It's like a comfort device. Sometimes I wonder what my life would be without this wondorous technology but I'm afraid it's too frightening to think about haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself in such predicaments all the time. One minute I'm working really hard on my homework, and the next I'm on Instagram or Twitter. And I do agree with you technology can be used to gain a lot of knowledge but it's the individual that must use it the correct way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maria! I completely understand what you mean. Technology has caused me to procrastinate so much. For no reason at all I would look at my phone or computer when I'm supposed to finish an assignment that wouldn't take me this much time if I just stopped looking at the screen.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.