I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Done with all the reading

I'm really glad I was able to read Smarter Than You Think, Amusing Ourselves to Death, and Brave New World this summer because it really opened my mind and taught me a lot of new things. I'll admit that before I read any of the books I thought that I basically knew how technology worked and how we worked with it. But I was wrong. As I read Smarter Than You Think, I was impressed by all the different ways technology was affecting our society, economy, and thinking positively. Yeah sure I had maybe thought about some of those ideas briefly (such as being able to connect to people globally over the Internet) but i never really thought about it deeply. Thompson helped me think about technology's positive effect on us and encouraged me to ponder more and more about technology. Switching over to the negative side of technology was a bit hard for me as I read Amusing Ourselves to Death since I had focused so much on the the positive of technology. Postman illustrated many points in how specifically television was corrupting our minds and how we are losing our ability to think deeply. I thought about both Postman's and Thompson's arguments and decided that Thompson is right because we have progressed so much further with technology than Postman would think so. The last book, Brave New World, was a bit of a hard read for me because Huxley uses a different style of writing than I'm used to. It gave me some insight into how technology could corrupt us if we didn't learn to control it and that we need to learn to step away from it sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. This was a great post that really tied everything together! I had read The Shallows, so I have been thinking recently of all the negative sides of technology. It's interesting seeing the different sides of both Smarter Than You Think and The Shallows on this blog. I feel that this just justifies when everyone says technology is neither bad or good, it is neutral. Amusing Ourselves to Death just added to the negative side of technology. Even though it was negative, I thought all of Postman's points were well thought out and I agreed with them. Lastly, Brave New World was just an interesting read. It opened us up to a world that could quite possibly happen due to further advances in technology. The three books I read just gave an overall negative view on technology, but it's nice hearing all the positive things from those who read Smarter Than You Think.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.