I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Can You Feel My Pain?

I just finished reading The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr and am very pleased. Throughout the book, Carr brought up extremely good points with numerous studies and research to support his arguments. Out of all the experiments and research referenced, the experiment that caught my attention the most and made me think was conducted by the USC's Brain and Creativity Institute. The experiment involved test groups listening to physical or mental pain then reciting it as they were having their brains scanned. It was revealed that it took longer for the brain to process psychological pain and start to feel sympathy. Consequently, if people are distracted, let's say, by the internet, then it will be harder for them to notice the pain of others, and much less feel any compassion.

This revelation is upsetting because not knowing that people surrounding us are suffering because we are too distracted by technology is really messed up. As Carr mentioned, although we are receiving benefits from the internet such as social networking and abundant information, we are also losing the characteristics that makes us human. In the long run, is it worth it? I don't think so. I would rather be deep reading in a forest and be able to emotionally connect with people than be immersed in the internet that makes us oblivious to our surroundings and less intelligent. 

2 comments:

  1. Patricia, I don't think we can opt out. Carr pointed out that we really had no choice about using clocks or maps. Once humans make a tool, we shape our culture and our intellectual capacities to fit the tool, and are initially oblivious to the unintended consequences.

    I think the answer may be to know what the studies say, and then to try our best to balance our activities and our lives..

    Here's something: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/novel-finding-reading-literary-fiction-improves-empathy/

    Note that this study points to LITERARY FICTION -- not quick reads like John Green or the Divergent series or Game of Thrones...and not The Shallows either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is important to find a balance, and the first step of creating balance is to acknowledge that the internet is indeed affecting our brains. After becoming aware, we could change certain our aspects of our lives in order to remain true to ourselves and also keep up with the world.

      The study was very interesting and gave me hope that people can increase their social awareness and emotions. Now all we need is to get them to sit down for more than a minute and focus solely on the book.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.