So I decided to check my Instagram instead of doing the dishes on time today, so my mom grounded me from my phone. Once I whined and annoyed both of my parents for a decent amount of time, I realized I wasn't going to get it back until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. During the first hour or two, I found my really old phone, which is useless except for its radio, which was good because I was already starting to feel music deprived. Then we went to this huge outlet mall, and I got lost ten minutes into the trip. My family didn't even notice I was gone until 45 minutes later (Thanks mom and dad!), and they came back to find me sitting in the food court feeling USELESS without my phone. I felt awkward asking to use someone else's, so I sat there and waited instead. Later on, I had some random question about caramel apples (we had just bought some), and I couldn't Google search the answer. THEN, I needed to calculate the price of a shirt after a discount, but I couldn't multiply it out in my head. I didn't have my bulky graphing calculator that I use at school or my phone calculator either, and I ended up needing to ask my dad to calculate the price for me. When we finally got home, I had to go log into my email, Facebook, and Instagram because I could no longer receive notifications to tell me when I needed to check something, and I had to actually get on my laptop to check it. I couldn't Snapchat my daily activities, talk to my friends over Facebook Messenger, post on my Instagram, Google search my many stupid questions, do simple math problems, call my parents when I lost them, or listen to music. By the time we got home and I'd finished checking all of my various social media accounts, I felt completely useless. And I still do. I've been grounded from my phone for 5 hours, and I'm dying. I've become so dependent on this one piece of technology that I feel like I'm missing an arm when I don't have it with me. Earlier in the summer, I thought I'd be able to do the digital detox thing without any problem whatsoever. Now? I still think I might be able to do it, but it's definitely going to be a challenge. I know we're supposed to be done using the blog, but I needed to rant, and I didn't have my phone to help me do so. And to those of you who have sent me any text messages, snapchats, or direct messages on instagram, and I haven't replied, now you know why!
Wish me luck,
- Lina <3
Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteThanks David! Nine and a half hours to go!
Delete1. Why not use whatever you posted this with? You can most likely still do 90% of that stuff.
ReplyDelete2. Your post just reminded me I need a graphing calculator. Thanks.
Oh yea! Me too!
DeleteThanks for reminding me to get the graphing calculator, both of you!
Hey Grant! Yeah, I'm using my laptop right now, but it can't be unplugged from the wall (the battery's broken), so I'm only able to use it when I'm at home, in my room. It's okay to replace my phone with it for a day, but I think it'd be hard to do it for a longer period of time. And you're welcome!
DeleteThis cracks me up. Good luck, LE. Catch up on your Berenstain Bears; read The Rosie Project; take a nap. Do EXTRA dishes, extra chores. Go take a job off of your mom's hands: tubs and toilets and sinks, a load of laundry, some ironing. Maybe she'll relent faster.
ReplyDeleteI was mopping floors and I got bored so I came to see what was happening online. Back to mopping. And I started mopping because I needed a break from looking at notebooks. And before notebooks, I was pulling weeds. I am bouncing around my house like a pinball. I can't believe I go back to work tomorrow. I'm not ready to wear shoes and long pants. I better go cook something -- soon as the floor is dry, I'm going to make carnitas.
I finally got my phone back! :) :) :) I don't feel useless anymore!
Delete