Of the three books, my favorite has got to be The Shallows. Brave New World was interesting, but wasn’t my cup of tea, and Amusing Ourselves to Death was just not as interesting to me. I like the way Carr backed his story up with examples and research, and how he didn’t just talk about how the Internet affects us, he also brought up the way the Internet affects books and other mediums. I also liked the science and history aspects which he included. I definitely learned a lot with the books, especially The Shallows, and it has actually made me realize a lot of things about life that I should be more concerned with.
Oh, and because of all the blog posts about phones last week, I decided to try an experiment with my family. We went to Santa Barbara on Friday and I told them that no one can use their phones for any reason, not for GPS, texting, calling, or any social media, unless it was an absolute emergency. But other than that, anyone who pulled their phone out was finned a dollar. It was a challenge for me and my younger cousin because we’re teenagers, but it was surprising that it was my mom who paid the most ($4). Anyway, being on a “digital detox” for one day has proven to be worth it because we actually spent time together, had fun, and conversed during meals. I just wanted to share with you guys my experience, and if you haven’t already, you should try to get your family to have a “no cellphone day.” I apologize for the really long post. Thanks for reading it!
Before reading the summer homework, I also didn't realize how much I used my computer. Besides I figured I was only using it as much as any other person, but after all the reading, I've been trying to reduce the time I spend on my computer. Also, I really like the experiment you used on your family, very clever.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, nice experiment! I should try it whenever I get the chance to spend time with family since we are pretty much 'busy' all the time (probably with technology, both at work and at home).
ReplyDeleteCarr really did a great job when expressing his ideals in with his book. He branched to different aspects that related to human discourse with technology altogether.
Trevin, I was caught up with spending time on my computer just how you were. Reading the books helped me come into realization that technology is affecting even the littlest aspects of our lives, especially the fact we lose time (which may as well lead to procrastination at some point if we have work to do).
I think I would end up paying the most if I were to do that with my family. Whether it be at the dinner table, a movie theater, or while hanging out with friends, I always get the urge to check my phone. I also noticed that Carr sort of gives a lesson about neuroscience in the second chapter. It was interesting learning about the brain's plasticity, the way our cellular components work, and the brain's adaptability.
ReplyDeleteI really need to try that with my family! I recently did a digital detox & my family was not helping by a long shot. While I was sitting there trying to have a conversation with them, they were all texting away on their phones. I just wish my family would realize just how much time they are wasting on their phones and other electronics.
ReplyDelete