In chapter
9 of The Shallows, Nicholas Carr makes
good points when saying the internet is making us lose are sense
of memory. I can relate to this because when I receive information as long
as I know it can be found on the internet I pay no real attention to depth
and detail, unless I actually find the subject important. I believe this loss
of memory theory only applies to a certain extent though, because people
have been writing down their ideas for centuries so they wouldn't forget. The
only difference now is we use reminders and calendars using our phones.
Just because we search things on the internet and just fly by all the
information it doesn't mean we couldn't remember if we decided to be
attentive. I simply think the internet is enabling us so we don’t find it
necessary to remember, but when we pay attention and focus memorization is
simple.
I agree with you one hundred percent. I also did think that sometimes if we wanted to that we could also remember and memorize things that we search on the internet and we won't always forget it, as you said, only if it is not so interesting to us. We are less dependent on our memory because we know that we can at anytime go back to google to remember what we forgot.
ReplyDelete