I heart xkcd
Art Project
Thursday, August 21, 2014
In Brave New World something that really disturbed me was the caste system. In the caste system there are 5 castes: Alphas, Betas, Gammas, Deltas, and Epsilons. As you go down the castes their intelligence decreases to almost illiterate. This was done by inserting alcohol into their growth chambers. I thought this as horrible. Those who are of the lower castes were not very intelligent and could never be intelligent. This really made me feel sad for those who were of the lower castes. I don't think I could ever live in a world like this where people were engineered to have certain mental capacities. I know that this is one of the factors that contributed to the peace and stability their world, but I find it to be a frightening measure to take even if it meant peace. What was the person who thought of this thinking? I would never even consider this as an option to ensure peace and stability. Do any of you think that this is reasonable solution?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't think it is ethical to put alcohol into the growth chamber but, because the lower classes are already dumb, after they have been decanted they don't have the intelligence to care if they are dumb or not. In this sense the lower classes don't mind that they are mentally disabled.
ReplyDeleteI think that this "solution" is very unreasonable and cruel. I was even more shocked to read about the "Elementary Class Consciousness" where they teach children while they are asleep (hypnopaedia). They play voice recordings of whisperings to the children to teach them to only play with the children in their caste and to teach them that they are better or worse than the other children.
ReplyDelete