I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Human will or human need?

In chapter three of The Shallows, I came upon a sentence that made me stop and think. The sentence is "Every technology is an expression of human will". I recalled of a book that I had to read for AP World History which was called Guns, Germs, and Steel and in that novel, Jared Diamond made a statement saying "invention is the mother of necessity". I think I agree more with Diamond than I do with Carr. I believe technological inventions are invented because we find flaws in our life and we invent something that can help improve it. If you think about it, maybe the internet was invented to improve how we research. Maybe we needed a faster way of searching for information because opening books was too slow. The necessity in this case is a need for a faster way of searching information and the invention is the internet. And the internet improved the way we are able to search information. Maybe my argument here is wrong but what do you think? Is every technology an expression of human will or, as I'm trying to argue, human need?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.