I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Technology is Neither Good or Bad

Before I read Smarter Than You Think by Clive Thompson, I thought that technology was mostly bad. I blamed technology for taking our attention away from our lives and just wasting our time in front of a screen not doing anything productive. As I began to read Thompson's book my thoughts changed and I thought maybe technology was a good thing. It has helped us to be able to communicate easier and faster with people who are far away, it has increased our memory and knowledge, and schools who have implemented public posting and video lessons into their education have seen their test scores go up. When I got to the end of the book I realized technology wasn't necessarily or good or bad thing. It's pretty neutral. It only seems good or bad to us because of the way we use it. If we spend all of our time on social media and tv while ignoring our homework or other priorities then we blame technology for distracting us. But if we use it to do our homework or use it occasionally then it seems like a good thing. I think if everyone was able to see that technology is neutral and stop blaming it for the bad, then they could all do more productive things with technology.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Daria! I do agree with your opinion on technology as beneficial to our homework technique. I have used my phone for looking up definitions of words, researching for projects, and typing up homework assignments when a laptop or other device was not accessible. I also agree that it does become harmful at I begin to stray from my work and check updates on social media websites. My parents also agree that my phone is helpful to my homework assignments when I choose to be productive, so with that I feel as though your point is valid in consideration to my personal experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you said about technology. The only thing that makes it "good" or "bad" is how it is used. Although, I believe that it is a lot more "good" than "bad" . I mean, why is it that we make technology and keep improving it? And why was it made in the first place? It was to aid us in some way and make our task easier, which I think is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your post entirely. Technology is only as good as we make it. Different types of technology have many types functions, and when determining whether or not it is good or bad for us comes down to what function and what time. It can serve as a both a distraction and a tool, depending on the our use of it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.