I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, August 15, 2014

Yet here we are

                While commenting on several posts I came up with an idea on what to make my next post about.  There has been much debate about whether or not technology is a positive aspect to our generation or a shamelessly negative one.  Although, when I came across Grant William’s last post I have made up my opinion that technology is indeed neutral.  Technology such as the internet is really only evil because there is an evil person behind a screen provoking misconduct.
            These past couple of days I have been thankful of the internet for introducing me to the events taking place in the city of Ferguson, Missouri.  If you haven’t been familiar with what has occurred there this week, there has been endless racist police brutality occurring in the area.  I have watched countless videos uploaded by victims where they are literally putting their hands up and making it clear they are simply protesting in peace. They even have to yell at the police not to shoot but the officers still throw tear gas and shoot rubber bullets at these protesters. In addition it is completely tragic that these cops are so cowardly that they remove their badges to commit this scheme.
            The ruthless murder of Micheal Brown by a Ferguson police on August 9th 2014 provoked these protests to begin and the fight to cover up this officer’s name has lead the Police force to strip citizens of their 1st amendment rights.  As a United States citizen of color it saddens me that nothing has really changed in fifty years.  In the 1960’s Martin Luther King Jr. and many others marched for equality yet here we are still trying to search for it.
            What I found amazing about this situation was also the fact that people from Palestine have started to give the citizens tips on how to react when tear gas is thrown at them via twitter. “It feels so weird using my experience from #Palestine and Israeli oppression to give advice to #Ferguson. Much love and Solidarity!” tweeted user @MariamBarghouti.




Ps: Ferguson is made up of a large African American community while 50/53 of the Police force is white. 

For further details about how Micheal Brown was murdered, click this
For actual video evidence of the Police in Ferguson attacking protesters, click this

And lastly here is a photo of a white policeman pepper spraying a little girl:










2 comments:

  1. Yeah, definitely. A knife is for dicing onions or stabbing people. It's really up to me. Any force of law is supposed to be for peace, and if you disapprove of a single man for doing something ruthless, you cannot disapprove of the suit he was wearing. Misuse is an interesting concept, and as much as you can claim that you were being sucked into misusing something, it's really your decision in the end. If a manmade instrument wasn't made for war, then it's our fault if we use it as so. Great point, to you and Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the state of tecnhology, I believe that technology is good to a certain extent. Like typography is to Postman, I belive that technology brings more benefits than negatives. This case in particular is a great example of the benefits of technology: social media. Social media is great in spreading awareness of important events. It is tragic that another innocent, unarmed African-American teenager is murdered due to racial profiling and police brutality. We need to openly dicuss these issues and educate the public.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.