I'm super busy these days and am in the middle of creating a Powerpoint for a workshop I'm leading at CSULB. Why am I working in the middle of the night? Because I procrastinated a little. Can anyone relate?
The pressure of a deadline helps get me going. I COULD have started this a little earlier, but I was doing other important stuff. So sometimes when people procrastinate, it isn't because they are lazy bums, and I tend to think that sheer laziness is not usually the reason for procrastination. Besides, flat out goofing around is good for the soul. Busy people have conflicting priorities. Sometimes though, those priorities are off base -- gaming and messing around online doesn't measure up well when put on a list of priorities. But reading? Working on other subjects? Pulling up the weeds that are choking the tomato plants? Playing with a small child or a happy dog? These things should be done. Procrastination is not great, but it is a fact of life, and I understand that fact very well.
Anyway, I hope you continue working hard. As you have surely noticed, the pace around here has picked up considerably.
If you are lurking and thinking to yourself..."I should start. I want to take this class after all, but it's too late and she's going to yell at me," just put that aside. Yes, I might yell at you, that is true, but I might not. Depends on how busy I am at the moment. And even if I do, big deal. You can survive a little Fletcher yuckiness. It's not the end of the world.
One time, my friend was VERY late picking me up at the airport. I had been traveling for a long time, and I was tired and grubby, and I had to sit on my suitcase at the curb and breathe the exhaust of all the cars and buses coming and going for a long time. It was awful. But you know what? I had forgotten all about it. (Maybe the fumes from the exhaust killed my brain cells responsible for remembering my misery.) HE was the one who recently reminded me, "Remember when I kept you waiting at the airport that time?" and I said, "Really?" And he prompted me with a few more memory cues, and then I remembered, but the memory was vague.
My point is that I have such an extremely short memory for negative stuff. Even if I get mad at you for starting late, or giving me some crazy excuse, I might grouse at you, but honestly, in 4-6 weeks, I won't remember it. I never hold a grudge. So don't worry about my grouchy moments. They are few and fleeting. Ask anyone who knows me.
I'll probably go to school and start working in 508 on the day your notebooks are due. I'll post my hours as we get closer.
Carry on, young AP students. FINISH the work. Incomplete work is tossed to the drop pile, and then considered later, depending on HOW incomplete it is.
OH! I remember what I wanted to say. I threatened to drop kids from the blog who hadn't posted yet, but that move will require that I comb through August -- the posts are easy enough, but the comments take time. I just haven't had a chance to do it, so even though I WANT to be strict, I'm too busy to be strict fairly and carefully. So never mind.
Is it bad that i feel somewhat more comfortable knowing that a teacher is procrastinating just as i am? Either way i personally work better under stress. Also, your statement about forgetting the negative dinged a Clive Thompson connection bell in my head. In this case i suppose your forgetfulness is a good thing for us students! Good luck on your work Mrs. Fletcher!
ReplyDeleteI find that procrastination causes many tasks to be completed; except for the one thing that you actually need to do. For instance, I'll notice that my room is getting a bit dirty before I read, so I'll clean it, only to find out that I've also become hungry now. "Hmm, out of bread? I'd better go to the store." One thing leads to another, and before you know it, you've wasted four hours doing something else. Having technology around doesn't help either.
ReplyDeleteThis brings to mind a Calvin and Hobbes comic I read a while back. I found it online, so here's the link: https://homepaddock.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/dairy-10017.jpg
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the comment being deleted, there was a typo and it bothered me. Anyways, what I said was that I am pretty sure you are going to be one of my favorite teachers next year. I can relate to you so much! Procrastination will literally be the death of me, but like you, I have learned it is just a part of life and I will have to accept that. It happens to the best of us. Also, I can never hold a grudge on a person, it makes me feel horrible inside. Lastly, I know I have been lagging, but your motivation has inspired me to keep pushing and finish up this summer homework! Thank you for the support.
ReplyDeleteRobert, I'm teaching a workshop for other English teachers, and we joke that our houses get SO CLEAN when we have a fat stack of papers to grade. I've found myself cleaning UNDER THE WASHER AND DRIER when I have a ton of seat work to do.
ReplyDeleteAnd Josh, I'm a big Calvin and Hobbes fan. Huge.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree and relate to the two points you've made. I'm a huge procrastinator, as you might've already noticed, but I've come to accept it. If I am given more than 2 weeks of allotted time to do something, I automatically get lazy and "I'll do it tomorrow" becomes my mantra. So, short amounts of time and upcoming due dates are more suitable for me. I also cannot hold a grudge. It's just not physically possible for me. Sure, holding grudges can have its perks at times, but I feel as if holding grudges is a waste of time when you could be spending that wonderful time doing better things.
ReplyDeleteThis post has really comforted me that procrastination isn't something that just high school students are afflicted with. It really feels like work starts to pile up and hover over me until the morning before the due date when it collapses on top of my head or, sometimes, six days before the due date (Which is right now).
ReplyDeleteNow I can get myself to work harder and think to myself: "Well, at least I'm not doing it later."
Procrastination is certainly a fact of life, and I have never agreed with something more in my life. I always wait until the last minute but this, I realized, comes from stress and yearning for leisure time. I KNOW all of us have suffered from stress and before I get carried away by ranting about the American educational system, I will get to my point. ALL of us NEED this summer break. A little bit at a time is a great idea for finishing all of your work, but often, this is EXTREMELY difficult. I cannot express how comforting it is to hear a teacher say this and I am truly grateful for this post. THANK YOU (on behalf of EVERYONE) Ms. Fletcher! I am getting on my homework and this makes me feel better and reminds me of just how much of a break I have had. It's time to get down to business now!
ReplyDeleteI am known to procrastinate I often tell myself I will get to it later, and when it is later I don't. I always try to make up some logical reason as to why I can't get to it usually Netflix has something to do with it. I agree with the deadline soon coming it makes me try even harder, I am in a mode where I can get this done! It is nice to see that even teachers go through procrastination. I understand the term use your time wisely.
ReplyDeleteWow this is the first time I've ever seen a teacher openly admit their procrastination lol. Well it let's the rest of us know your busy and human. Moreover I'm glad you have a forgiving spirit and don't hold grudges because that can really harm the soul (jk I don't know if that's true).
ReplyDelete