I just want to comment on Postman's claim about how education and amusement appear to be inseparable. He points out how the majority of us will fail to pay attention if what we are being taught is not "interesting" enough. I myself find it hard to stay on tract if the topic I am being taught is not presented to me in an amusing or creative way. Well the point of this post is to try and see your guys' opinion on why this is true. Why is it that we appear to be more capable of learning and remembering if we are taught through entertainment? I remember Postman pointing out in the earlier chapters that a person tends to remember a lesson better if the person teaching it taught it with humor.
There is a Japanese proverb that goes as follows:
"Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher."
What i want to know is, what makes a teacher a great one? Is it the fact they taught amusingly or memorably? Of course the answer to that question will vary with each person that answers, but I would really like to know what all of you think. I think it will be interesting to see what every person says.
When we go to college, we will study something that we enjoy because when we enjoy something we like to do it. I think this is similar to when we are entertained when we learn. It becomes easier and enjoyable.
ReplyDeletei see what you're saying. The more interested and passionate we are about what we're learning, the more likely we are to pay attention. Makes sense.
DeleteI think what makes a teacher great is the ability for them to teach their students in an effective way and to create a bond with their students. Teachers all have different views and techniques of teaching their students but even if they try and teach in an amusing way it doesn't always guarantee we will learn. Sometimes teachers have to be strict to bring out the best in their students.
ReplyDeleteThat's a really good point.
DeleteReminds me of Mrs. Garvin haha. I loved her style of teaching; she always kept the class interested when lecturing on world history, while being able to keep us under control. When she left on maternity leave, it was a little hard adjusting to the transition, including the new substitute.
DeleteMeanwhile I read the education argument that Postman introduced, I found myself thinking about what role our teachers play in this also. A great teacher nowadays is one who can present the subjects they are teaching in a exciting and amusing way. Mrs. Garvin is definitely a pro at this because I never found myself bored in the class and at the same time, I learned so much even though her lectures were lengthy at times. We have been conditioned to want things short and simple as provided with extensive arguments by both Carr and Postman so this is why in many people, especially children and teens and some adults, need amusement to stay awake for lectures when all they do is listen and take notes. Avram brought up an excellent point that it all depends on a teacher's teaching style and probably, to a certain extent, the subject being taught which might influence them to be more strict or free with their material.
ReplyDeleteI too have wondered this. Often enough it's become evident that a boring teacher as of now has a lower chance of giving a memorable teaching experience. I believe that because of our technology, our brain is hardwired for entertainment and things we enjoy. We would readily enjoy an entertaining teacher thus making them memorable. Also the subject we're learning plays a part in how well the experience is. I agree with what David said in the comment above about how if we like the subject it'll be more memorable.
ReplyDelete