I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Statement on the World State

Having read Amusing Ourselves to Death and Brave New World, I have to say that while the society displayed in Brave New World exhibits some pretty controversial behaviors and customs in our own society, I have to agree with their prioritization of certain principles in their society, especially concerning societal stability.

Just to be clear, I'm not against individualism or anything like that and that I still feel like the near eradication of individuality in the World State is a bit extreme; however, the idea of a society where racial and ageist discrimination is practically unknown, such as in the World State (though it does pretty much have the most rigid caste system, even more so than medieval India's. That's a history joke.), sounds very appealing. I feel that if there's nothing to complain or rejoice about, then things must be going pretty well. Of course, not everyone will agree with that statement.

Our own society is still plagued by social strife, obviously, and its effects can be seen right now in the news today (right now, actually. I like to keep up with things real-time). For example, there's the current situation in Ferguson, Missouri, or the fighting between Israel and Hamas in the Middle East. The World State wouldn't have those kinds of problems (or any societal problems that its population would even notice. Soma is one pretty crazy drug, not to mention the culture and ideology the World State is entrenched in). The World State throws out our own society's style of discrimination and replaces it with its "socially efficient" Bokanovsky's Process (how they clone embryos for the lower castes) to keep everyone at their shallow happiness and ignorance, but is an unappreciated peace and happiness through ignorance worth the sacrifice of a definitive aspect of life, individuality? If not, why? Why value individuality over happiness?

I have my own opinion, but I'm more interested in hearing anyone else's.

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion I do not think living in the World State would be horrible. Individuality is important but I think happiness is more important. Also, living in a society with no noticeable societal problems is beneficial.

    I am interested in everybody's opinions. Your opinions are awesome because they could change or influence mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in the World State, with no noticeable societal problems, wouldn't be so bad like David said. However, I don't think I'd want to give up my individuality. Happiness is an aspect of life that everyone searches for, but how does being like everyone else make you happy? Can happiness not coexist with individuality? Individuality, in my opinion, gives many people a purpose. Our own individual tastes and ideas shape who we are and what we become.

    I agree with David. Reading everybody's opinions and ideas on this blog have really influenced mine. They've gotten me to think about everything in depth.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.