I heart xkcd
Art Project
Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Search or Memory?
Hello Bloggers! I have been reading The Shallows , by Nicholas Carr, and I was quite fascinated about the beginning of chapter nine. Carr started off the chapter by saying Socrates was right, referring to the fact that Socrates believed that the invention of writing caused people to depend less on their own memory and more on written marks,or in today's world the Internet. Carr then goes on by saying that the Internet, specifically Google, has changed the way the mind thinks by essentially promoting the skimming of words and hinters the brain's ability to be able to think critically, which is similar to the way the invention of writing changed memory. Google has given us the ability to access tons of information in seconds! Is memorization really that important anymore if you can go look up what you want to know? Is it better to have to memorize everything or is it better to have a search engine that can tell you what you want to know, like Google?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You make a good point. I talked about this with a different perspective in my last post, basically saying that questions like these have been forming for quite a while, so what makes this generation any more important?
ReplyDeleteI was also having a talk with my 28 year old brother yesterday, who told me I was stupid for googling the definition of a word rather than looking for it in the dictionary. I laughed at him because of his hypocrisy, being that he's told me multiple times that he never completely read any book in high school. I then asked him if he's ever actually looked up a word during conversation, or if he just asked the person for immediate answers with minimum effort. What's the difference? I took the initiative to attain knowledge when presented to me in everyday life outside of school, and that alone should be the point, not how I did it. We've become extremely good at that as a generation of young people, we even do quick yet intense searches in the middle of pointless arguments or questions with our friends to back up our point or give us answers. Would anyone even bothered to have done so in previous times? I'm saying this as a person most people would probably be surprised to see blogging in an AP summer assignment, not as a naturally curious or logical kid. Some of the most seemingly lazy and laid back kids I know take major part in that, and all the thanks belongs to things like ,you know, google.
I think the question if memorization is even important anymore is something good to bring up. Personally I use to rely on my phone daily for reminders ,information ,and peoples phone numbers. I never really considered memorizing something because It didn't t seem necessary. I realize this must sound ignorant of me but its the truth. Heavily relying on my phone was a bad habit ,but after reading some of this and AOTD I find myself gladly straying away from it.
ReplyDeleteI don't think memorization of rote facts is important any more. "Recall" and "Identify" are at the lowest level of Bloom's Taxonomy -- this is the stuff we offload to computers -- "mind extension." Why memorize all of the vice presidents in the history of the United States? Knowing that stuff seems like a party trick: "watch what I can do!" But to work on vocabulary, to memorize a poem or a speech, or to learn lines in a dramatic production -- those memorization tasks are useful -- beautiful even.
ReplyDeleteI think we have to avoid making blanket "all or nothing" statements and consider our purpose and the aesthetic value when deciding what tool to utilize. The thing is, we have to be in the driver's seat, right? We have to be making choices. I prefer a paper dictionary to Google for all kinds of reasons, but my reasons aren't sentimental "ah, books are intrinsically better/back in my day, we did it right" reasons. I don't think that's true. Google is certainly faster, more expedient -- a very useful tool. My dictionary is awesome too. I use both.
I agree that Socrates and Carr are right about not really needing to memorize information due to books and the Internet. I do, however, believe that some information must be memorized. I mean don't you all know your address and phone number? Yes, I know these can be looked up, but in the event of an emergency it is critical information that must be recalled. School requires heavy memorization for chapter tests and AP exams. Now there is irrelevant information that should not require memorization because it will not be used for a high purpose such as the amount of awards an actor has won. My point is that even though information can be easily found it is still essential to memorize some information. Some memorization serves a purpose and is not entirely useless.
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a valid question whether or not if you're better off having search engines like Google or Yahoo or have things memorized. The only the thing is what you your preferences. For example if you need information in a moment then yeah it is good to have search engines however it takes out the whole process of looking to encyclopedias and dictionaries. Yet, its always good to have information memorized because you need the information to function in both social and personal places in life. If it was me I rather have search engines because I'm like most people in the 21st century and is lazy. Yet it would be more of an interesting world if we didn't stuff like Google and use encyclopedias and such
ReplyDelete