Let's say hypothetically I try to solve a puzzle for about an hour. I use every trick in the book for this puzzle but I just can't solve it so naturally I just give up in the process. Nonetheless, I can actually go on the internet and just browse to a forum that specializes in these kind of puzzles. Noticing that no one has solved the puzzle yet, I try to help contribute to the forum's attempt to solve this particularly hard puzzle by typing out my own journeys to solve it. This leads to me helping contribute to something called the collaborative thought process. With just one person trying to solve the puzzle it would probably take days but with the internet, we have hundreds of people trying to solve it which leads us to potentially solve this in a matter of hours.
Our collective thoughts create a hive mind but there's a stark contrast between the internet hive mind and a bee hive mind. Every single individual has our own different way of solving things. Since everybody has their own way of solving a puzzle, we have the full potential of thousands of brains.
This brings us up into an interesting question. How do we contribute to groups and forums on the internet? I remember back in the early days of the web, I tried to help graph out what each route (area for the less experienced) contained which Pokemon. It was a daunting task for an inexperienced nine year old but it was amazing at how the community strove to work together. Operation Procrastinate is complete.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.