I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Monday, August 18, 2014

Are first impressions and appearances everything?


     The way we display ourselves is very important to us in our everyday lives. Wanting to be attractive and good-looking has become an issue. The media has changed the way we think when it comes to appearance. The people who run the television network air only what is appealing to the eye. They cater to the people who value appearance more than anything else. Whenever I see a shampoo commercial, I stop and think if I would use the shampoo if they used someone who didn't have attractive-looking hair. Of course the answer is no. I definitely do not want hair that looks like I just got electrocuted.
     Today looks matter a lot more than they should. Everybody wants to look good and be attractive. First impressions matter a lot! It's the sad truth, but people are very judgmental. They may not say it, but deep down inside they are already making an assumption of you. A lot of people say that appearance doesn't matter and that what's on the inside matters most, but in reality appearance DOES matter to everyone up to a certain degree. Just being attractive and looking good helps you a lot in society. Having a nice appearance will lure people to you. People generally think that if someone looks nice or attractive they are a good person. They like to think of them as their "Knight in Shining Armor" or their "Damsel in Distress" instead of "The Wicked Witch of the West". Good looks are associated with good qualities while unattractive looks are associated with bad qualities. It's a rare case to find someone who is genuine enough to disregard their first impression of you and try to actually get to know the real you.
     I know that appearance matters a great ton to the youth of today due to insecurities and wanting to impress others. People spend hours just on the way they look. So my question to you guys is... How much does your own appearance matter to you? Are you comfortable with the way you look? Do you even LIKE the way you look?
     Personally I tend get worried about my hair a lot. I always have to look at my hair. I tend to stare into the reflection of sunglasses, mirrors, and windows a lot just to make sure my hair isn't slanted or look like I just woke up.

                 

14 comments:

  1. We do not like listening to bad music and we do not like smelling bad smells so I do not think it is wrong that we do not want unattractive people on television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although you're entirely correct on this subject, this is why we are in a bad community. Some people spend plenty of money and time just to look "attractive." I believe this is slowly making our society worse everyday. People always want to be good-looking but they're sacrificing precious time and money for it. People tend to worry on attracting the opposite sex, but truly that can wait. Education is given to us early so we can take advantage of it earlier. There is no point of being a good-looking couple if both of you never took the time to use education to get a good job. The media has corrupt us to think in a wicked way. Appearance shouldn't matter as much as it does right now.

      Robert Wurzer said in one of his blogs that we appreciate appearance and entertainment more than our own education.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. While Mr. Wurzer was correct about how we appreciate appearance and entertainment more then our own education, this has been going on since the birth of schools.

      A vast minority of students take education for granted and care more about their own appearances. It's just with the introduction with social media that this vocal minority have made themselves more vocal. (I've noticed usually the minority of things are always more vocal then the majority). This leads to what I like to call other people acting that way which leads to a growth of more students caring about good looks than an education. Celebrities also don't make it any easier with their naturally good-looking appearance.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. People always say appearance does not matter, but truly it does matter. If we saw a commercial and a really bad looking person is in it showing the product, how many people are truly going to buy the product?
    All of the youth today struggles with how they look like. We all see our favorite celebrity and we want to look just like them. Some of us may be pleased with the people we are, but others want to change and look a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you regarding appearance. An example would be if your cook was dressed up as a hobo. Would you want him to cook your food? I wouldn't and I reckon you wouldn't either.

    Regarding your question you asked, I have to say that the more I age the more I seem to care about my appearance. I try not to care though because it seems all superfluous in the long run. Though I can probably place this irrational uncaring of my appearance due to the fact that I don't like my own looks; however, I always try to have this sort of neutrality about my appearance. Whenever I go out, I strive to think to myself, "Everybody is caught up in their own world. Why would others care about your looks when they have their own problems." I feel it works relatively well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In AOTD, it is discussed how we would not vote for a president who was incredibly unattractive thanks to modern media. Though this form of selection may be suitable for a talk show or sitcom, should the future of our country not be the exception? Today it is deemed socially unacceptable to discriminate due to something such as weight or physical appearance (especially to do it towards a woman), yet it still happens daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The people that companies use for commercials are usually meant to represent the company. Although some companies themselves do not judge off first impression, they tend to the customers who will judge off first impression, and an unattractive representative will not help a business in this judging society that is based on appearance. I personally care about my appearance, but not enough for me to carry a mirror around. There is a place and time to worry about appearance, and if in the wrong place and time, it is usually a distraction to whatever I may be doing at that moment.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.