I heart xkcd
Art Project
Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Having Shortcuts
Hey guys! I am currently reading The Shallows: What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains by Nicholas Carr. So far, Carr makes a valid statement about the internet being our choice on if we want to use it or not. Although it makes researching information much faster, it makes us want to take the easy way out of everything. If we had an ultimatum of either skimming through a bunch of information online or reading a three-hundred page book, I'm sure that most of us would choose the first option. Because we feel as if it is easier to just use the internet, I believe that most of us would get addicted in doing so. Especially since the internet gives us so many options of things to do, from entertainment to worldwide news. However, why is our society spending so much money on the latest computers and gadgets when the less recent ones are practically the same? I understand that things are updating in size and fashion, but why waste money on technology you just bought a month ago?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jenny, I completely agree with you. Why is everyone trying to buy the newest, updated computers and phones? I know so many people who will buy a phone and then 6 months later the newest phone will come out and they will buy it. What is the point? Yes, maybe the newer one will have a cool update but the older phone has all the important parts you need. They both have texting, calling, and the internet. The newer one might be like .5 seconds faster, but is that really going to make your life that much better? I also think that people want the latest gadgets because they see everyone around them having them. Everyone just wants to look cool and be like the people around them.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you agree with me, Amy! They just try impressing others with their latest gadgets and even bragging about them. It's devastating how people don't see their necessities and spend loads of money on things that they define as "nice looking".
DeleteThis just emphasizes how superficial our society is. I believe people go out and spend all this money on basically the same technology over and over again because they just want the "next big thing". All they care about is having the newest version and the better looking model. It's sad because I'm actually one of those people.
ReplyDeleteAlso, going back to what you said before, using the internet is a choice. Although, I personally feel like it's barely a choice now in our time. It's almost a necessity to use the internet in order to make it somewhere in life. For example, here we are using the internet so we can make it into an AP class. Yes, the internet is a choice, but is it really?
I have yet to hear a person utter the words, "I wish life was harder." With that being said, I see the point in people's desire to find an alternative to the hard way of doing things. I personally prefer to look up information online rather than in a reference book because the internet is more accessible and books are so dense that it is difficult to simply answer one question with too much information pulsing out of a book. In the time we live in today, people are naturally drawn to new things and find fascination in technology with the slightest bit of advancement. Siri for example is barely used anymore, but a few years ago it was in all the commercials and all that people bragged about as the high point of their phone's ability. Since I have owned an iPhone, I believe I only used Siri less than 10 times. Considering so many people truly believe they are more updated with newest innovation, within a year or even a few months, their opinions will be changed and they will seek the next new thing. It is only human nature to desire one's improvement and one's success over someone else's, but technology has manipulated us to fuel our capitalist economy with what we believe we need.
ReplyDelete