I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Monday, August 18, 2014

From Procrastination, Realization

Being the dedicated student I am, I decided to put off posting a thread a few hours ago in favor of watching a few episodes of The Colbert Report. As I was watching it, I found it funny how I was being informed about the news through a television show on Comedy Central (of all places) instead of a serious news network, like CNN. I realized that what Postman was saying about how people are drawn to information presented in an entertaining way applied to me and was applying to me that very instant.

My jaw dropped when I realized how spot on Postman was about how society was shifting towards the Huxleyan warning that "what we love will kill us."

While I already agreed with Postman's points and views about society's drift towards more entertaining and amusing mediums, I never took the time to apply everything he said to my own life. Has anyone else had any kind of experience where they had a realization like that?

1 comment:

  1. Indeed Jeremy!
    Postman pointed out things in my life that I did not even notice. Whenever I watch TV now, there are many advertisements that are pleasing to the eye. I also observed certain discussions on TV shows and realized that those serious matters are extenuated. A person does not have the time to ponder about a subject because new material is constantly being presented to them. There is background music and attractive looking people. I now have a different view about television, its all about amusing its viewers.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.