As I write about Carr's The Shallows, I came across a part early on in the book that led me to think of a topic in relation to a blog post made by the one and only Fletcher herself.
You can find her post here -> LINK START!
An Article: NY Times Article: A Price for Convenience
In the very first chapter of The Shallows on page 7 (of my edition), Carr quotes Scott Karp, a blogger of online media. Karp questions himself, "What if I do all my reading on the web not so much because the way I read has changed, i.e. I'm just seeking convenience, but because the way I THINK has changed?"
In response, I asked myself a few questions. How has the difference between paper ink and electronic LEDs made a difference in how humans interpret information from subjects? Do we often skim quickly through lines of information in the pursuit of what we NEED directly now that the convenience of filters and fast word highlights are available?
Personally, I sometimes find myself caught up in this change as well. When I look for something online, I often take advantage of the convenience of having the ability to find something on an article right away. Thinking about it, doing so prevents me from actually looking through the information in sequence down the page. On the other hand, having a book keeps me occupied. I feel as though I want (and need) to read through each piece of information just to look for what I need. Through personal experience, reading through a book helps me receive thorough information in comparison to the speedy convenience of topics found in electronic readings.
To those who desire to reply a comment to this post, I ask you, "When it comes to taking in information, which do you prefer and why? Ink and Paper or Electronic Screens?"
To be honest, I would rather get information from the computer because it would save a great amount of time. With our busy lives, we do not always have time to sit down and skim through a book to find what we need to know. Although, when I have to remember something, writing it down always helps it stick in my brain better (:
ReplyDelete