I heart xkcd
Art Project
Friday, August 8, 2014
First Time Blogger
Hi! I am new to this but here goes nothing. So I agree with this quote in the foreword of AOTD: "As he saw it, people will come to love their oppression, to adore the technologies that undo their capacities to think" because it's true people love an easy way out of anything. I believe it's because people think why waste your time doing it the old fashioned way when there is some machine or appliance of some sort that can ease the process. For example a calculator, I mean maybe I only speak for myself when I say this, but who would really rather do all the work on paper when you can push a few buttons and get your answer. My point is that people do love technology that doesn't require much thinking because technology is making it easier for people to choose them over an actual challenge. Does anyone ever actually choose a harder way of doing things? I mean a lot people actually don't interact a lot anymore because they can just text someone. Many times I find that when I invite a friend over at some point or another we both end up on a phone, laptop, or watching TV. Am I the only one or does this happen to anyone else? Do we love our precious technology so much it surpasses actual human interaction?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with your points, Jazmine! I always find myself being to lazy to do something manually, when I can just go on the computer and find what I need. I mean would you rather search the entire text book for an answer or look it up online? Technology has so much information readily available for us, we figure why do the work. I do think human interaction should be placed before technology. Though this is hard for many people, because they are so used to typing and texting things. Have you ever realized that sometimes it is so much easier to text something than to say it to a person's face? This is why I believe people are so immersed in social media. It is easy to make friends and "talk" to people via the internet. Hopefully someday, people will realize that human interaction has a much bigger impact than technology and social media.
ReplyDeleteUsing the calculator as an example was a really good way of showing that technology has changed the way we deal with things. Teenagers are especially susceptible to this, as we grew up in the age of technology. We are used to finding other ways of interacting socially, such as with "social media" that allows for little to no face-to-face contact. I believe that this has had an effect, not only with us personally and socially, but with our modern society as a whole.
ReplyDelete