I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, August 8, 2014

A Writing Generation

Reading Smarter Than You Think by Clive Thompson has helped me realize how much technology is changing us. Although there are negative outcomes from this rise in technology, I believe there are more pros than cons. Technology has encouraged the current generation to write a lot more that earlier generations. Before technology was available to everyone, people rarely had opportunities to write. Now there is a wider variety of opportunities from emailing, to blogging, and even just to posting a status on Facebook. Thompson noted that after college his grandmother barely wrote. In total she had written a few letters a year and the usual grocery list. He contrasted this to the usual American who sends multiple text messages and emails a day, posts on blogs, and changes their statuses constantly on Facebook and other social media. With all this writing new ideas are formed and people who have the same ideas are easily connected. Discussion boards and blogs are examples of technology that bring people together from across the world to discuss their ideas. With these advancements it is easier to gather people and try to make changes in government, society and the economy.

1 comment:

  1. Daria,
    Reading this book really opened my eyes on this concept of how technology is allowing us to write more. I, myself, have many social networking account but the one that really relates to this topic is Twitter. I post about 5-6 post daily containing only 140 characters each. Compared to the example above, I consider this to be an extraordinary amount of writing that I do on a daily basis. Keep in mind this doesn't include any of my texting, schoolwork, note-taking, etc.

    P.S. I completely agree with you. I honestly believe that technology is doing a lot of good for us but one con I can say is that it's making us humans lazier and dependent.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.