I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Friday, August 1, 2014

What if......

I agree with many posts I've read on the blog so far, even on the books I haven't read yet. But I have read a lot of posts and comments about how it'd be so hard to give up technology because we were basically raised with it, and I honestly don't believe it would be THAT hard. Trust me, I'm the first to go on my phone after school and check my Instagram, tweet and retweet for hours, but I also spend a lot of time with people that are older than me, and they all have taught me a lot about the little things in life. Spending time with your nephews/nieces, making your mom and/or dad breakfast, going outside and just enjoying some fresh air. They've even challenged me to spend a few days without my phone earlier this summer. That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do! But I definitely learned a lot from those couple of days, like who I am, what I want in life, and who my true friends are. I had a couple of my close friends come over gand make sure I was okay since I was out of contact, and I loved it. So here's my question... What if we didn't have technology? What if we couldn't grab our phone whenever we wanted and do whatever we usually do on it? Would you last? What would you learn?  Do you have enough will power? That's what it really comes down to. My phone was always accessible (in case of emergencies), but I had something I wanted to prove to myself and everyone around me. So during this last summer, do me a favor and stop and smell the roses once and a while. It's worth it!

Sarah Parten

9 comments:

  1. I most definitely agree with you. I do believe that we can go without our phones for a while. For example, I went to a retreat this year and we were not allowed to use our phone. It was a challenge not being able to talk to my parents and tell them I love them; however it allowed me to bond with my friends that I roomed with. We spent quality time together and our phones became history. I also don’t use my phone when I am at family gatherings either. I usually go on social media because I am bored. I think that I can go without my phone. There are so many aspects to life other than a hand held device. Instead of playing games on my phone I could be playing games with my siblings. I think we all could go without our phones; it is just a matter of self control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. After those few days without my phone, I ended up deleting my Twitter account because I realized how much unnecessary drama it was bringing into my life. It's actually scary that our generation, the ones that can't seem to put their phones down, is the next generation that is going to be "in charge" of the world next. We are next in line, and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a good point :D. I remember this one time where I gave up all types of media for a week and it was really difficult. Time went by slower and I felt like there was nothing else to do. If we lived in a world without phones, we would be encouraged to get out more, which is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we didn't have the internet, I think all of us would be a lot more sane.
    I don't think I realized how sucked into technology I was until the day I heard a big booming voice in my ear saying, "HELLO! EARTH TO DESTINY!" My aunt was just telling me about her day, and I was on Instagram so focused on other peoples lives when I realized that I was wasting mine...
    This summer has been a little different. Yes, I still post on Instagram, Snapchat others, and reblog Tumbr posts, but I find myself so uninterested so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems just a tad contradictory when you wrote you do not think technology would be that hard to give up and then go on to write that giving up your phone was one of the hardest things you have ever done. You might have meant to put, "I honestly didn't (instead of don't) believe it would be THAT hard." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I meant that at the time, it was extremely hard, but now that I've done it, I've realized that it is not as hard as everyone (including myself) thinks.

      Delete
  6. Sarah, you make a valid point. People are just so caught up with being on their phones, laptops, etc., that they don't realize what life is like without their technology. However, I believe that they would go insane, in terms of how our generation is like today. I have challenged myself to not use my phone for days and it made me cherish my moments with family and friends. We don't have an eternity to live so we should make the best of it, without worrying if we have enough likes on Instagram or getting enough favorites/retweets on Twitter. Although it's hard to go days without my phone, it was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you! I spend so much time on my phone, it is ridiculous. Lately, my nephews have been at my house a lot and usually I would be attached to my phone until a few weeks ago when my brother told me to put my phone down and play with nephews for a little while. I decided it was not a terrible idea so I took my nephews for a walk and just enjoyed their presence. I try not to be on my phone a lot because there are so many other worthwhile things I could be doing with my time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.