I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Virtual or REAL world?

I agree with Postman when he writes: "Television is our culture's principal mode of knowing about itself." It is very true that people go to the television for a lot like the news, the next episode for their favorite TV show, or sometimes even a food channel to cook something. Yes it's true, but there is something better than watching TV. Now people go to their laptops, tablets, phones, or some device in order to see whatever they need to know. They can easily get on the internet with their device and search up whatever it is that they need. On some devices there are apps that are specifically for certain things. For example, a weather app can easily tell you how  hot or cold it is or an app for maps is a quick and easy GPS. Their is so much out there that people can turn to there is no need to pull out a road map when you can see directions to wherever you want to go with just a few taps. Not only that but the devices serve as entertainment as well because you can download games that you can play wherever you go. Sounds great right, but you can miss a lot when you always spend your time on it. If you pass up a great opportunity because you're about to beat your high score you're going to miss a lot that you just might not get back.

3 comments:

  1. You've got a really good point about missing what's going on around you. The majority of us probably don't realize that it's happening and i personally find that scary. I specifically remember a time when I was sitting next to a window but I was so engrossed in my phone to realize it was raining. It wasn't until i saw Amy Hamada's tweet about it raining that i looked out the window. I felt like such an idiot. It may seem funny but personally I was pretty bummed that I put myself in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad how much our culture depends on technology because it becomes our life. I had a similar experience like Anvita once. I was on an airplane and it was a four and a half hour flight so I was occupying myself by listening to music and playing games. I had a window seat and I didnt even bother to look at the all the beautiful scenery until one of the other passengers pointed out that it was snowing! I had never seen snow before so it was amazing to see all the little snowflakes on my window and see snow across the landscape. I probably would have missed out on most of the scenery if it wasn't for hearing someone say that it was snowing because I was so occupied with my phone. It's nice to enjoy the little things (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Anvita telling me about that. I thought "how is that possible?" How could someone not notice it is raining especially when they are sitting next to the window? Now I see how that can be. There has been quite a few times when my mom has been talking to me and I said something back, but a few minutes later I have no memory of the conversation because I was paying more attention to my phone than I was to my mom. That really concerns me because what if there is some type of emergency going on around me, but I am paying too much attention to my phone to even notice. Technology can be deadly. I think I realize why Postman chose that book title.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.