I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Monday, August 18, 2014

The Jetsons?


As I am reading through Brave New World and Smarter Than You Think it has got me thinking on how fast technology is advancing today and how life will evolve in the future. In most schools today books are replaced with  new Ipads for each student. It makes me wonder if we will use paper at all, with computers and smartphones around. In Smarter Than You Think Clive Thompson mentions that computers are used in chess, because computers have more capacity for plays. With technology making its way to chess, where else will technology make its way. Will technology makes its way to music, will we even play instruments or will Ipads do that for us. Will the future become more like The Jetsons, will we travel on hover cars? Will we even change at all?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa. You do make an interesting point. You brought up the question, "Where else will technology make its way?" In the rapid developing modern world, it is possible to believe many aspects of human lives will change due to technology.

    Computer technology grew slowly throughout the 1900s, but its rate of growth has spiked in the late 20th century. Does anyone remember those considerably 'aged' computers and the computer mice that functioned by rolling a ball underneath? Within a few years, laser technology has made those modernly obsolete.

    You also mentioned, "Will technology make its way to music, will we even play instruments or will Ipads do that for us?" Indeed, technology has already made its way into music. We have electronic keyboards instead of magnificently designed grand pianos. Imagine playing the saxophone on an Ipad, or something similar to that! Of course, it is possible. If humans even desire such convenience to have speakers playing notes, it can happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember those mice with rolling balls. They were horrible.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Melissa! In response to your question "Will technology make its way to music?", which I see as "Will technology make its own music?", yes! In fact, it already has.

    Emily Howell is a computer program that was developed by a man, David Cope, during the 90s. From the description of the program off of its website (http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/cope/Emily-howell.htm), "By encouraging and discouraging the program, Cope attempts to "teach" it to compose music more to his liking." Essentially, Emily Howell is a program that makes its own music from the feedback of its programmer.

    I, for one, am excited for a future with a computerized Beethoven. (Or even computerized screamo bands. That sounds very interesting.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa :)
    Its true that technology has come a long way and i could say that it has taken control of music too. I always see apps of keyboards, guitars, and other virtual instruments and its possible that music would be made through Ipads. That's actually pretty scary though. I think we'll advance in technology throughout the years, but it would be pretty crazy if the world ended up like The Jetsons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a response to your question, "Will technology make its way to music?" and I, like Jeremy, believe it already has. If you look up how to play a specific song on guitar, thousands of YouTube videos will pop up on the screen. Music producers digitally edit a song in a recording studio before it is put up on iTunes. Tracks are overlaid to make it sound like there are multiple voices on a song. Synthesizers can make electronic sounds and drumbeats that a DJ plays at a party. Technology is a constant presence in music.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.