I heart xkcd

I heart xkcd
Art Project

Monday, August 4, 2014

Technology: Science vs. Entertainment

Hello bloggers! Brave New World by Aldous Huxley was a fascinating read, but at the same time quite disturbing. While reading, I was constantly being toyed with my emotions, something that I truly hate having to feel being a person of logic like many of you probably are. But when I actually thought about all of the details that Huxley described in his futuristic world, I started to wonder of the present state of our modern world. Are we really that far away from resembling a world of that described by Huxley? I am very pessimistic person but even the aspects described by Huxley took me by surprise, especially when I read about the workers purposely infecting embryos with disease like sleeping sickness.Also, just the idea of clones roaming the Earth and people losing their individuality is very worrisome, even to the most cold harden people who would lose whatever makes them unique. Technology like this is already possible as scientists have been able to successfully clone animals this past decade and manipulate genes of living species to their advantage.
In my opinion though, scientific advancements with the help of technology should not be our biggest concern to us. Entertainment will be our demise if we do not soon realize what it is doing to society. We are already too busy being entertained by mindless T.V. programming that serves us no utter use and viewing the internet's vast quantity of information to the point that we come to depend technology as an essential tool to everyday life and it will only get worse as companies and show businesses find more ways to promote and integrate their products directly towards us. As Postman and Carr imply, technology will only be improved if people can make a profit off of it and its primary goal is usually not to better our physical well-beings as with scientific advancements. Our brains' ways of thinking, processing, imagining, decision-making, and reacting have undoubtedly changed somewhat in recent years, making us crave more entertainment.In Brave New World, all people do is entertain themselves while being told what to do with out any choice in the matter. The second point of the last sentence is something else that I have already noticed among people nowadays as entertainment basically commands what people buy or put a false sense desire for something in our minds. Entertainment can definitely be used as a weapon since people are already addicted to it so much. Technology in science, so far, has been used for the general good to cure diseases, help the disable, reuse earth's resources to limit pollution, and even increase crop yields to battle famine. Overall, technology that resides with entertainment is something everyone should take notice at the present moment and not as much with what could happen in the future with technology that is presently out of our individual control for the moment.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jesus! I agree with you on the fact that our world is starting to lose its individuality. While I don't think we're all going to become mindless clones, there are many people in our world that are willing to give up their individuality and conform to society because it makes life easier. Being seen as different is hard, and most people would rather not deal with it, so they choose to blend in and go along with the majority by doing what seems to be popular in the media. Also, technology has been good for us so far, and while I don't think we should give up television and the internet, we should proceed with caution now that we know the possible consequences. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jesus. After I finished reading all three books, I wasn't sure what to think about technology. Amusing Ourselves to Death made me realize that the internet, show business, and advertising changes the way we think. Postman says that we are no longer able to focus for a long time. Then I read Smarter Than You Think and that made me see the benefits of having technology. We are now able to store so much and learn so much from the internet. Then, when I finally read Brave New World I was totally against the way they were using technology. I was just overwhelmed with all of these opinions about technology that I didn't know what to think, but after reading your post it all made sense. I agree that technology is good when we're using it for important and useful things, but it can be harmful when it's not allowing us to think for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Jesus! Technology can be good or bad depending on how we use it. Howvever even with all of the technology we use for entertainment purposes, we are far away from becoming anything like the world state. We are progressing technologically but there are some things that the World State does that we are far away from doing. For instance, we are far away from conditioning people to think a certain way based on social class. Would we even condition children to hate books and roses just like the delta children in the world state?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.