Hi everyone! So I have just finished reading Smarter Than You Think: How Technology is Changing Our Minds for the Better, I do have to admit I was a bit anti technology but Clive Thompson brought up many good points. Thompson does bring up some rather realistic issues we all face because of technology, like the "tip of the tongue syndrome" (looking something up on the internet when you can't figure it out) which we all suffer from. Thompson also mentions that we have all become so dependent on technology, from homework questions, to spoilers for tv shows, etc. In society today we don't have to waste time thinking or looking over a question all day, you can have that question answered for you. With all that being said I do have to admit technology has helped us strive for the better, because of our resources you are able to learn math, English, or any science in the comfort of our own home. With both the positive effects and the negative it is hard to see whether technology is improving or destroying our minds.
I agree with Thompson about the dependence we have on technology. Whenever I have a question on my homework or just about something totally random I always go to the internet to find an answer and am able to get one within seconds. I think technology is good for the most part but you bring up an interesting point. If we constantly have to refer to the internet to answers our questions and remind us of what we've forgotten is technology really helping us then?
ReplyDelete