Hi everybody! I was reading Amusing Ourselves to Death and chapter seven really had me intrigued. Postman makes some pretty good points about the news and how society expects to receive its news. He also raises his concern about how society measures the world in the seconds and minutes bought by television news. It's sad to say but it's true. Most people don't even pay attention to what's being said on the news. More attention is given to those who give the news and how they tell it. Postman proves this point when he tells of a newswoman in Kansas City who was fired because her appearance "hampered viewer acceptance." Wouldn't you think viewer acceptance is based on the information being provided and not on what one woman looks like? News segments aren't even long enough (45 seconds) to provide the viewer with enough information and still, they're more concerned with what the woman looks like.
The phrase "Now..this" was Postman's main concern in this chapter. He points out to the reader that the phrase is used as a conjunction to separate everything from everything. Television newscasters use the phrase to transition between stories that have no relation to each other. This sentence below in particular caught my eye.
"There is no murder so brutal, no earthquake so devastating, no political blunder so costly-for that matter, no ball score so tantalizing or weather report so threatening- that it cannot be erased from our minds by a newscaster saying, "Now...this."
My interpretation of this phrase is that we don't really need to think about the news segments. We're only expected to listen about it for less than a minute then we can move our focus to the next story. It's like society no longer cares about what's being said or what little regard is given to what's being said. Our only expectation is to be entertained. Postman is right to be concerned.
I've never really paid attention to the news; moreover, this book is really opening my eyes to problems that come along with the advancements in technology. Please comment and let me know what you think.
I find what Postman says is very true. After reading AOTD I began to watch the news a little more. I noticed that the newscasters would spend a minute about a car crash and then they would change the subject about a special local event. They don't allow their viewers to react and respond to the information. I also noticed that the newscasters talk about some things and I'm like,"Why is that important to know?" I guess it's all for entertainment reasons :/.
ReplyDeleteHi Jenascia, I've been watching the news a lately too. It's funny how I never noticed the things Postman said until after reading the book. I feel exactly the same about the things they say. For example, they were talking about the hurricanes in Hawaii and then they were talking about the water crisis related to beer. I was like, "How is this important? How are they going to follow a disaster in Hawaii by talking about beer." I mean sure it was entertaining and grabbed my attention, but how is that news compared to the hurricanes. Thanks for commenting Jenascia I really appreciate it.
DeleteHi Jocelyn. I agree with what you discussed about the lady getting fired because of her attire for work. I also agree with your statement about the news being too short. On the other hand, there is so much news to cover that they can't cover everything for a very long time. If we are so intrigued as an audience about a certain topic, then we can inquire about it by searching it on social media and obtain the information we desired. There is so much technology out there that our needs can be satisfied. I hope that you can see where I am coming from.
ReplyDeleteHi Kayla. I can see where you're coming from. I understand that there is so much news that they try to fit it all in by making segments short. However, if there is so much news they can't cover, why not take out the story on Justin Bieber or the latest viral video. And yes, if we are so intrigued with about a certain topic, social media is available for us to learn more. This is where Postman's argument comes in to play. The segments are short and then followed by a completely random story that then takes your mind off of what was previously reported. Another thing is that not many people will search topics from the news because we believe what they tell us. Postman says that television influences what we see as truth and what we believe is credible. I appreciate you commenting and bring up this point. If you still disagree feel free to let me know.
DeleteHi Jocelyn, Unfortunately the Justin Bieber and Kim Kardashians of the world are big headlines in the news today. They capture our attention long enough to keep us watching the news until they get to the entertainment segment only to be disappointed that it was long enough. Yes, Postman does say that television influences what we see as truth and what we believe is credible. However television is not our only source for news and entertainment now a days. How it’s influencing us is changing day by day and what we will see as truth or worthy may lie within ourselves over time.
DeleteI understand that television is not the only way to receive news and entertainment, but it is our main source. It's like Postman said, we're used to our news being told this way. His point is that it's upsetting that we allow news and entertainment to be one in the same. It doesn't phase society that local events and news that actually has an impact on life are portrayed in the same way. We don't find it disturbing that a segment on a rapist is followed by a commercial for a new car. Yet we'd find it odd that an author would advertise in the middle of a book. Postman highlights that any sane person would be bothered whether it be on TV or in a book. But our expectations for television are different. We only expect to be entertained when watching television which is why we believe what we are told. Somehow television seems to influence are perspective on things. so yes what we see as the truth and as credible does lie within ourselves, but you have to take into consideration that how we think while watching television is influenced by the pleasure we get from entertainment. You do raise a good point Kayla and I'm glad you shared your opinion with me.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete